cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Studio Debugger freezes computer

timespacemedia
Level 3
I am developing on Windows 7 SP1 with a GTX 780 and with both the 0.4.2 and 0.4.3 sdks I am unable to set breakpoints in my app without freezing the computer when using the SDK. It makes debugging more difficult. Is this a known issue with VS 2013? This occurs in the tiny sample from the SDK if I set a breakpoint in the render loop.
8 REPLIES 8

Rajveer
Level 3
I am experiencing this issue too with 0.4.3 (this never happened with 0.4.2). This happens even when only using ovr_Initialize(), and commenting it out causes the behaviour to disappear. I'm running Window 7 x64, VS2013 and SLI GTX 670.

timespacemedia
Level 3
I was able to resolve this by downgrading my NVidia driver to 344.11

cybereality
Level 15
What Nvidia driver version were you using that had the problem?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

timespacemedia
Level 3
I believe the problem was occurring with both the 344.65 and 344.48 drivers. I have not tested 344.75 released the 18th. I'm going to stick with 344.11 for the time being. I'm using Open GL 4.x on a GTX 780 in windows 7.

Rajveer
Level 3
For the record I am using 344.11 and have this issue (I haven't changed drivers since I commented above).

timespacemedia
Level 3
I'm now thinking it might be related to shadowplay being activated in the nvidia center software. I am guessing that when I cleared my drivers it also disabled shadow play causing me to believe the driver was the issue. is shadow play enabled on your machine?

Rajveer
Level 3
Good point, yeah it is. I'll try turning it off when I get home and will report back!

Rajveer
Level 3
Sorry, I forgot to reply! I just tried debugging and got a hang, however turned ShadowPlay off fixed it. Nice find!