cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird frame twitching / screen tearing bug when using Oculus Link via cable (Quest 2)

MatoProF
Explorer

Hello,

I connected my Quest 2 to my PC using a 3rd party cable which should be good enough (connection test shows 2.8Gbps), however I seem to have some odd graphical bugs where I notice the frames kind of "twitching", reminds me of screen tearing. Sometimes parts of the previous frame will be displayed on the current frame.

It's a bit complicated to explain through words, so I tried my best to record a video of the issue. I slowed the video down at the parts where these bugs occur. Also, the black vertical bars are due to the phone recording.
Link to the video: https://streamable.com/qdz3ox

This bug occurs pretty much everywhere when I'm using Oculus Link - it happens in the main menu / hub that first opens when I enable Link, it happens in every game I play, and so on. Also, it appears that the bug happens at random, sometimes I'll play a few minutes with it only happening once or twice, other times it'll happen every few seconds and it gets really annoying.

So far I've tried to mess with the settings in the Oculus app, the Oculus Debug tool (changing the bitrate, etc.), different USB ports, updated my drivers, enabled beta on the Oculus app in hopes that an update might fix it, but all of these attempts did not make a difference. 

Here are my PC specs, which I know might be a bit weak for some intensive VR games, but all the games I've tried so far have given me good framerates, and considering this also happens in the Oculus menu, I don't think it's due to my PC, but who knows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6x3.6GHz

GPU: AMD RX 580 4GB Dual OC

RAM: 16GB

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to fix this, or at least guide me in the right direction, as this issue is really bugging me. Thanks in advance! 

EDIT: Also I should probably mention, I tried turning on Mirror in the Debug Tool to see the screen, but these bugs did not happen when viewing it on PC, only in the headset.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I was not able to turn PC ASW on in the first place, I believe.

I've recently upgraded from my RX 580 to an RTX 3060, and all the graphic bugs are gone, everything now works perfectly, so it was either my GPU being too weak to handle VR, or generally just AMD's video decoding which I've heard isn't very good.

I changed some other settings like the bitrate, but none had any effect on it at all. Turning off Mobile ASW is what helped me the most, and it cleared out most of those frame twitching bugs. They still appeared, but very rarely, mostly when the game was doing some quick loading or when there was some minor stutter.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, MatoProF! We're sorry to hear you're having issues with your device glitching when connected to your PC. We know this can be concerning when trying to enjoy some PCVR. No worries, we're here to help! We'd like to ask you to collect your logs and submit them in a support ticket. The steps to collect your logs can be found here. in your support ticket, please include the details of your issue as well as any troubleshooting steps you've tried so far, and one of our agents will be happy to assist you further. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Thanks for the reply. I submitted a ticket in the 'Oculus Link' section, hopefully it was the right one.

Hey Mato,

were you ever able to get this sorted? Mine is doing the exact same thing and I have tried all the steps you have, plus about an extra 5 hours with of other fixes. 

hope you figured it out. 

I wasn't able to fully fix this issue, but as I mentioned in the post, I managed to significantly reduce the amount of times this issue would occur by going into the Oculus Debug Tool and disabling the 'Mobile ASW' option.

If that doesn't fix it, then I suggest that you try to open a support ticket. I got a reply from them after a day or two which was full of various methods that could possibly fix the issue.

Just for reference, what are your PC specs?

this saved me. you're a genius.

Haha, I wish I was, but credit for the Mobile ASW fix goes to u/EggyRoo on Reddit. 😁

Hey, I have the exact issue too, it normally happens after a loading screen in game or minor lag, then this screen tearing happens whenever I move my head. So what u have tried is disabling mobile ASW and all other settings to default? What about PC ASW?

I was not able to turn PC ASW on in the first place, I believe.

I've recently upgraded from my RX 580 to an RTX 3060, and all the graphic bugs are gone, everything now works perfectly, so it was either my GPU being too weak to handle VR, or generally just AMD's video decoding which I've heard isn't very good.

I changed some other settings like the bitrate, but none had any effect on it at all. Turning off Mobile ASW is what helped me the most, and it cleared out most of those frame twitching bugs. They still appeared, but very rarely, mostly when the game was doing some quick loading or when there was some minor stutter.

TKN4293
Honored Guest

I started having this issue out of the blue. Everything was fine one day the next not so great. The headset works fine without link connections as does everything non-VR on my system.

I have been back and forth with support for over a week trying to figure this out. None of the above solutions or any others I can find searching the web has fixed it. Bought a new cable as well.

I am beginning to think it is the USB-C port on the headset.