cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's The Unity Pro Key Gone ?

Adam2112
Level 2
On my Rift Order History there was a Free Key for Unity Pro Valid till December 31st and since The Page updated with a little reformatting the Code is no longer there, is this a bug or is the code invalid now ? If it is, what a shame I was about to start productsion on a game
9 REPLIES 9

benjavides
Level 2
Same problem here, I can't find the code

zboson
Level 9
You don't need Unity Pro unless you use Unity at a firm that earns 100,000 USD or more. I have Unity Pro and I don't think I have used any of the extra features that come with it. I only got pro because I had to.

bo3b
Level 5
I'm also looking for this key.

Unity Pro includes Performance Reporting, and 40% off Asset Kits.  Both of which are valuable to me.

Dreamwriter
Level 8
Your game is already released? That's the only reason I know of to use Performance Reporting, but if your game was released it seems strange you'd want to buy new asset kits. I'm not sure these codes would get those anyways, they are only for the *new* Unity Pro subscriptions, but I think this code is for the old Pro subscription.

bo3b
Level 5

Your game is already released? That's the only reason I know of to use Performance Reporting, but if your game was released it seems strange you'd want to buy new asset kits. I'm not sure these codes would get those anyways, they are only for the *new* Unity Pro subscriptions, but I think this code is for the old Pro subscription.

Nope, not done yet.  But I've done software professionally for years and years.  One thing I know for sure- it's going to work just fine on my machine, and blow up on one of my beta-testers machines. Probably the one in the country farthest from me. The performance reporting seems like a good way to quickly get at the root of machine variability problems that are nearly certain with PCs.  Conversely, if I can run on multiple beta testers without seeing any exceptions, that gives me confidence in my work.

BTW: a different thread suggested you could find your key by looking at the guest portal.  I used a different email address, and my Rift is registered with the guest portal.  Unfortunately, no Eve Valkyrie code, and no Unity code there either.

Dreamwriter
Level 8
I seem to remember getting emailed my Unity key, and I know I was emailed the Eve Valkyrie code.

zboson
Level 9
The Assets Kits, as far as I can tell, are a tiny fraction of the assets on the Unity Assets Store. You can see the Kits here
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/assetkits

40% off those kits is hardly any consolation when you have to pay 125 USD/month for at least one year minimum for the Pro license. Unity does not even encourage paying a one time license anymore (not sure it even allows it). You have to spend 1500 USD minimum to get a license which then costs 125 USD/month to continue with.

I hate the way the Unity Pro license works now. They copied the Visual Studio Community edition license which I don't like either. 

If you work at a non-profit research institute like I do (we don't pay taxes but we certainly have revenue) each researcher has to get the license even to learn Unity (you get to use the personal edition for one month though). This is anti-productive because many researchers would be using Unity otherwise.  These projects could lead to paid projects. 

The license should not be tied to the total revenue of the company you work for or Unity should make an exception for researchers.  If a company gets 99% of its revenue from other products that don't use game engines or games for that matter it does not matter because it's based on the total revenue of the company. Unreal's license makes much more sense because it's based on the product you sell using the engine.

If I had to do it over again I would be using the Unreal.  We all know C++ anyway. Unity turns out to be super easy to use which is great for research. Unity knows this and so they take advantage of it. They clearly did not like when Unreal made their license free for everyone (you pay royalties on the product) and now they have found a way to get past Unreal by making their engine so easy to use.

bo3b
Level 5
Just following up that Support solved the problem for me.  Made a support ticket with details on change of email address, and received an email with the code today.

I've previously had terrible experiences with support, but this time they nailed it.  Got me a solution on the weekend, very impressive.

Adam2112
Level 2
Thanks, for the replies! F.Y.I The Keys are back []-)