cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my quest 2 dying faster then it used to

TinyIronGaming
Honored Guest

So I've had my quest 2 for about a year'ish now. and for the first 2-3 months it would last a good 2-3 hours before it died but for the past few months now I can barely get an hour's playtime even when i start at 100%. Me and my friend have tested this multiple times, we will both get on at the exact same time an after just under an hour my headset would be at 13% or lower and his would still be at 40-50%. anyone know how or what could be causing this or could it maybe be a faulty battery? any help would be appreciated, thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

kojack
MVP
MVP

Lithium Ion batteries like in the Quest 2 degrade over time, resulting in them running out faster.

There's a few things that damage the life of the battery:

- Temperatures over 30 degrees celsius

- Every time you charge it. Lithium Ion usually can only be fully drained then recharged about 300-500 times

- Keeping the battery at full charge

Yep, actually having the battery at full charge is bad for it. A Quest 2 that's kept at 100% charge will end up with worse battery life (after a year or so) than one kept at 80%.

Letting the Quest 2 run out of charge then fully charging it is worse than keeping it always partially charged.

Leaving them at no charge is also bad, for other reasons. There's a hidden safety margin, if it drops below that, the safety circuitry will lock the battery so it never charges again. When a device like a Quest says 0%, it's really got a safety reserve. Without that, charging a truly flat Lithium Ion will have a higher chance of exploding.

This isn't just for the Quest 2, phones, laptops, etc batteries do this too.

The damage to Lithium Ion batteries is irreversible. Their life will always degrade over time by some amount, but how you charge it and what temperature it is affect how fast they degrade.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Good information to know, but is there a way to fix the problem of the quickly dying battery or get it replaced? I am in the same situation as TinyIronGaming.

Hello Angela, we certainly don't want you to miss out on having fun, so allow us to help you with this issue!

We would advise to contact us at Meta Store Support, our support team there will be able to dive further into this for you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

There is no support your employees will provide here. They read off a script. If it deviates from a common issue, they have proven to be some of the most useless customer support I’ve come across in 40 years. The problem is the Quest division of the company is an afterthought. And these batteries degrade way faster than they should in 2022. They also weren’t great to begin with. It’s absolutely the biggest issue with the Quest headsets going forward…other than the poor game selection after years now. 

Is there anyway with my oculus 2 i can get my battery replaced with my warranty

Hey there, @nobchezlover21! We couldn't help but notice that you are experiencing some issues with your headset battery. We hate to hear that any of our users would be experiencing something like this and we'd love to help you out! So that we may gain some clarity on the type of issues you are having, can you please answer the following:

• If you plug in your headset, do you see a battery icon displayed and LED's?
  • Are you experiencing shortened battery life to where your battery depletes quickly?

Once you have provided those details, we'd be more than happy to assist you further! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Knock knock! We just wanted to pop back by to see if you still needed a helping hand. If so, please feel free to reach back out! 

Hi again @nobchezlover21, just checking in to see if you are still in need of assistance. Let us know if you do. Thank you!

AngelDevoid
Honored Guest

A nice spanking new battery to my address would be nice 👍🙂. Stick it on my tab.... 😏