cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Radio Interference can cause headset position reset

Anonymous
Not applicable
If your home network is running on the 2.4Ghz frequency, its signals can potentially interfere with the headset tracker, causing a stutter effect inside the headset.  Not only is it annoying, but can become sickening if not dealt with.

It took me a while to narrow down the cause of my own wifi interference.  I had no problems with the Rift in another room where the same computer was hard-wired to my network, and I didn't have the wifi adapter plugged in.  I was attempting to use Virtual Desktop to play other games on a giant virtual screen (which is incredible, btw).  Naturally, I thought my graphical issues were being caused by the games or the combination with Virtual Desktop.
Eventually I realized that the glitch was not only happening in Virtual Desktop, but in Oculus Home.  The only difference in setup from one room to the next was the wifi adapter.  A quick test of turning the radio receiver off on the wifi showed it to be the cause of the problem.

Solution: Connect to your wifi using a different band if possible.  Many routers are dual-band and also broadcast @ 5Ghz.
1 REPLY 1

Parsmo
Honored Guest
Interesting.  I've been getting intermittent stutters and comments from others in social vr that it appears that my head is jumping around.  I use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  I'll try changing bands to see if the symptoms go away.  I feel for those in college dorms with tons of signals floating around....