cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox Controller Problems on Win 10? PLEASE READ THIS

cybereality
Grand Champion

EDIT: Latest Window 10 update (KB3176938) FIXES THE PROBLEM. Please update now. Original post below.

Due to the Windows 10 Anniversary update, Xbox One controller connectivity has become broken while using Oculus software. You may experience the issue if the Xbox One controller fails to register button presses when playing VR games. 

We are working with Microsoft to try to understand the issue and resolve it in a future update. However, in the meantime, there is a work-around that has worked for some users.

Basically, you want to power cycle the controller while a VR app is running. So first start the VR game like normal. Then remove the USB cable for the controller, or remove the batteries, then reinsert. This can temporarily resolve the issue.

You can also try this solution, that some people are saying can work as well. Plug the Xbox One Controller into your PC via micro USB cable. Download and open the 'Xbox Accessories' tool from Windows Store. Click update.

Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
151 REPLIES 151

blanes
Rising Star
I am on Win 10 Pro and have never heard of this Anniversary update,  does it get downloaded automatically ?  My win10 says it is up to date but I definitely do not have such an update here in Australia.  My xbone controller still works correctly though I have turned off the power saving function within windows to stop the disconnects.

LZoltowski
Champion
@blanes its a staggered rollout, probably has not gotten to you yet
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

lairyboy
Protege
I have the update and things seemed fine yesterday. I have had an intermittent issue where sometimes the only button that would register was the xbox home button. I would have to close the oculus app and open it again for the buttons to start working.

BrockKane
Expert Protege
You can also try this solution, that some people are saying can work as well. Plug the Xbox One Controller into your PC via micro USB cable. Download and open the 'Xbox Accessories' tool from Windows Store. Click update.....

Nope didn't work for me. Still a bricked controller.

LZoltowski
Champion
The new Anniversary Update does have a strange process that tries to enumerate devices continously causing conflicts, Microsoft knew of this issues even in insider builds.

Things you can try ..
  1. Close Oculus Home
  2. Navigate to Device Manager
  3. Go to network adapters, find the Xbox Wireless adapter for windows ...
  4. Disable Adapter
  5. Reboot
  6. Enable adapter in device manager again

Second Method if above doesnt work:
  1. Close Oculus Home
  2. Navigate to Device Manager
  3. Go to network adapters, find the Xbox Wireless adapter for windows ...
  4. Uninstall the drivers
  5. unplug the adpater
  6. Reboot WIndows
  7. Plug adapter in, this should reinstall the drivers

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

BrockKane
Expert Protege
Tried both of these. Seems to have activated my controller. Both Adapter and Controller LED's lit solid. But controller does nothing. No buttons work.

Here is my Oculus Device Page. Shows Xbox controller on and full battery. But also just an outlined version of it. Unless this is normal. Can't remember what this page looked like when it was working correctly.

ykyxd2orcyce.jpg

LZoltowski
Champion
 @BrockKane ... ah you might need to re-sync your controller now. 
Close Oculus Home
Press the little button on your dongle until the light starts flashing
Press the little sync button on top of xbox controller until it starts flashing
Should sync in a few seconds

Also try Re-Running your Oculus Home setup from the Oculus Home app (in settings)

My Icon is just like yours

Be kind to one another 🙂

BrockKane
Expert Protege
Tried that too. Seems to be synced like I said Both LED's are on solid. The controller is just not working at all. I'm beginning to think the Win 10 Update just killed my controller!

LZoltowski
Champion
@BrockKane  I did some digging on the issues... this is what is happening

The new windows update has a new process running that is continuously scanning HID's (Human Interface Devices). Because it is doing so it prevents something called Exclusive Access ... a lot of 3rd party utilities and key mappers are now broken too because of this issue. Since Exclusive Access is not being granted to apps it breaks them. 

The odd thing is Microsoft knew of this issue in insider builds for many months in both rings but chose to ignore this. 

There are two possible things that will be done, either Microsoft will stop denial of "Exclusive Access" or 3rd party apps will somehow need to change their runtime.

Be kind to one another 🙂