cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One Wireless Controller turns off on Windows 10 PC

haapavuo
Protege

Previously all the three Xbox One Wireless Controllers worked like charm on Windows 10 (before Anniversary Update). Now, after the Anniversary Update, as I try them, they stay on for about 5 seconds and then turn off.

This is not a battery issue. Rebooting computer helps sometimes, and I can then again play without problems until I again disconnect one controller. After that, all the controllers get again disconnected after 5 seconds when being on.

The controllers work well if they are wired (USB) to the PC. I have updated the controller firmware to the latest. They also work on another computer that has Windows 10 (no Anniversary Update).

I think this issue started after Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Any possible fixes for this? Thanks.

I already tried to reinstall Windows 10 (Anniversary) and update the Wireless Dongle drivers but it didn't help. I have also tried multiple different USB ports (2.0, 3.0).

The same problem was also mentioned here: "Installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update caused our X...

I have already contacted Xbox Support and Microsoft Support but they were unable to help (said they will send a ticket to the developers but you never know...). I am sure I am not alone with this issue since ArsTechnica has mentioned it too (link above).

I have also made a post regarding this issue here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/288881/xbox-one-wireless-controller-turns-off-on-windows-1...

125 REPLIES 125

Loweski5850
Honored Guest
Should I just call microsoft support and see if the problem is a microsoft or an oculus problem.

jayhawk
Superstar
just had this issue recently after reinstalling OS. Don't think it's an Oculus problem since it was shutting itself off before I even installed the Oculus software. Anyhow, plugging it in using a micro USB cable then testing it afterward without the cable it worked without shutting off.

deadspot80
Honored Guest

After months of suffering with the same problem I have discovered that the only solution was to disable the "oculus VR Runtime Service" from task manager. It worked immediately after I did that.

And if you have Steam make sure to go to Big screen mode/ Settings and recognize your controller.

Melbo1195
Honored Guest
Still no fix for this? Slightly annoying having to start and stop services each time I turn on my controller.

Mike1
Protege
Yeah I am still having this issue as well...... ffs

mbze430
Rising Star
looks like I got plagued with this problem too.  I have 3 different wireless PC adapter + 4 different Xbox One controllers.  And for the life of me, it ONLY works from a fresh reboot.  If you finished using the controller and disconnects, it will NEVER connect again until you reboot the machine.

It might be with Windows 10 updates....
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

Mike1
Protege
Anyone try the latest Windows creators update to see if it fixes the problem?

mbze430
Rising Star
Creator update doesn't fix it, because this is related to the Oculus services.  Tonight I was able to duplicate the issue.

1) connect Xbox Controller wirelessly
2) hold down Xbox button on controller till it turns off
3) hold down Xbox Button again to reconnect. - flashes a few times, and turns off
4) kill the two Oculus services via Task Manager
5) hold down Xbox Button again to reconnect - success
6) open services.msc and restart the Oculus runtime while the Xbox controller is still connected
7) hold down Xbox Button to disconnect
😎 hold down Xbox button to reconnect - flashes a few times and turns off

RINSE AND REPEAT.  so basically the services from Oculus is making the Xbox controller unable to reconnect once it has been disconnected.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

Mike1
Protege
Yep, this is still a problem for me as well. This is just completely unacceptable. 

elboffor
Consultant
Close home
Turn on controller
Put hmd on head
Works every time for me
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.