cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac 2017 (Radeon Pro 580) and Boot Camp (Windows 10 Home)

fukazayo
Honored Guest
I bought iMac 2017 (Radeon Pro 580) few days ago and tried run Oculus Rift CV1 on Boot Camp (Windows 10 Home).

But disturbed video displayed on headset and "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications" message on Oculus Home.

Radeon Pro 580 is should be a "VR Ready" GPU. 
Would you tell us how to solve this issue?

20 REPLIES 20

johnmasashi
Honored Guest
Hi,

Did you run SteamVR Performance Test?

If that tool said "VR Ready", it might not be so much issue.

mnalmeida
Honored Guest

fukazayo said:

I bought iMac 2017 (Radeon Pro 580) few days ago and tried run Oculus Rift CV1 on Boot Camp (Windows 10 Home).

But disturbed video displayed on headset and "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications" message on Oculus Home.

Radeon Pro 580 is should be a "VR Ready" GPU. 
Would you tell us how to solve this issue?

What USB 3.1 to HDMI did you use ? I have the same imac as you and I can not get the Oculus rift to display image. But it works good on my sons PC.

iGoodfellow
Honored Guest
Hello, 

I am currently having the same issue with my 2017 iMac.  Just picked it up and setup the Windows 10 boot camp on the computer.  I am running a Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI setup, and I am getting audio out of rift headset but without any video.  Drivers, software, and all are up to date but the Oculus App is indicating that the computer does not meet the minimum requirements to run Oculus.  This could be a driver issue or a display port issue surrounding the thunderbolt 3.  Obviously the hardware requirements hit the minimum VRAM size ( mine is the 8GB Radeon Pro 580 ) and I have multiple friends running Oculus through a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter successfully.  

At this time I am looking at a poorly built Thunderbolt 3 adapter, Boot Camp driver conflict, or Radeon driver conflict through a boot camp as my main culprits.  
If anyone has any insight please shoot it my way.  I am a Genius with Apple and have been digging into the resources I have looking for a resolution.  

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Is it telling you the processor in not comparable then perhaps try oculus tool tray , it has an option to spoof the message. Look for the post it very active thread 

iGoodfellow
Honored Guest

Is it telling you the processor in not comparable then perhaps try oculus tool tray , it has an option to spoof the message. Look for the post it very active thread 

The oculus app states your computers performance does not meet the minimum requirements.  

- I ran the compatibility app from oculus and it states that the processor, ram, and USB 3 passes but the video card does not meet the minimum performance requirements.  

I appreciate the response.  I am going to review that thread and share my experience. 

Star-lizard
Rising Star

The oculus app states your computers performance does not meet the minimum requirements.  

- I ran the compatibility app from oculus and it states that the processor, ram, and USB 3 passes but the video card does not meet the minimum performance requirements.  

I appreciate the response.  I am going to review that thread and share my experience. 

Ok well I have the msi rx480 8g gaming x card and it works quite well so I can't see an issue with the rx580 as they are almost the same architecture, most rx480 can be flashed to a 580 but I think they will run slightly hotter than a true 580. Haven't bothered to try 

perkino
Honored Guest
I'm having a similar issue, all connected, tracking and audio work well but no video. I've ordered another HDMI to thunderbolt adapter, I'll let you know if that works 

twhall
Expert Protege
Same issue here:  2017 iMac; AMD Radeon Pro 580 GPU; Intel Core i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM; 4 USB-3 Type-A ports; 2 USB-3 Type-C / Thunderbolt-3 ports.  Windows 10 via Boot Camp.  The Oculus app warns: "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's minimum specifications, which can lead to poor experience in VR."  Poor performance verified in various demos.

We went to the AMD website to look for a driver update.  Surprisingly, we can't find a driver specific to this GPU.  The only match appears to be a generic "MAC [misspelled with all caps] Graphics > Apple Boot Camp > iMac > Windows 10 - 64 Bit".  The driver release date is 4/5/2016.

Is AMD hiding a newer driver someplace?  Or is there some other non-obvious match in their download search tool?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Apple OS X and Mac hardware running Windows are not supported at all. Really sorry.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV