cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oculus quest 2 shuts down by itself

tre.massaro
Honored Guest
  1. Oculus quest 2 after a few seconds of inactivity (for example when watching a movie) oculus turns off. I changed the automatic shutdown setting to 4 hours but it continues to turn off after a few seconds.
13 REPLIES 13

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, tre.massaro! Your headset cycling like that is no good at all, and we'd love to lend a hand! To get started, let's make sure your headset is fully charged. 

• Plug it in for a few hours, then reboot it by holding down the power button until it restarts.

A reboot is an often overlooked solution to many of the issues we've run into. If that doesn't get you taken care of, let us know! Tell us a bit more, and we'd be more than happy to take a closer look with you.

• Is your headset shutting off while the forehead sensor is covered?
  • Have you cleaned your headset by following these instructions?
  • Does this happen with every game/app?

Your Meta Store Support team is standing by and ready to assist in any way we can!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I have the same problem! Its very sad

I followed your advice but it keeps turning off after a few seconds of inactivity

Hey there! We'd love to help out, but we'll need a few questions answered to help get us started!

1.  Do you have any third-party headset covers or facial interfaces attached to the headset?
  2.  Are the controllers active, or idling when the shutoff happens?
  3.  Which application are you using to watch movies? (Oculus Browser, Bigscreen, etc.)
  4.  Have you already tried cleaning all of the sensors on the headset using a non-abrasive micro-fiber cloth? You should also wipe down the stand-by sensor inside the facial interface, if you haven't already.
  5. Is the headset shutting off, going to sleep, or is the display just turning off with the headset itself still on?
  6.  Does this happen in other tracking modes? (Stand

That inactivity timer is just how long it takes for your headset to enter sleep mode after not using the headset for some time. Meaning the headset will still shut off after a few seconds if the sensor in the headset by the lenses isn't detecting anything. We've just tested this in our lab, and it's most likely the case that sensor isn't detecting you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hey there! Just reaching out to see if you still needed help with your headset going into standby after a few seconds of use. We'd love to help out if you still needed help! We just need the answers for our previous questions, so that we can better assess the issue.

Let us know if you have any questions of your own, and we'd be happy to answer what we can!

BaaBeeY
Honored Guest
  • I am having the same issue
  • tried all the above with no luck
  • tried also other tricks (covering proximity sensor) still did not work
  • I noticed that the black removable black frame is slightly broken but this should be an issue? I don't want to waste my money on buying a replacement frame to only find out it does not work 
  • Noting that I am a light user and have it aince 10 months ago

Okay, @BaaBeeY, thanks for letting us know. We'd like to look into this further with you so please PM us here or reach out to our email and chat teams by clicking HERE. Hope to hear from you soon!

I am also having the same issue with no luck

I have tried reseting it + factory reset.

What tends to happen is that the screen turns black but not off when pressing the button on the side loading dots pop up but nothing happens. Even after a factory reset the same problem occured. after a  lot of turning on and off i got into the lounge. But the same thing kept happening. I made sure to do everything it saus above + on the internet. 

Hey there, @KirbyJk! We don't like to see our users having this kind of issue with their headsets. We know how important it is to get this issue sorted out and get you back into the VR world. Not to worry. We recommend connecting with our specialized team here. We'll be able to assist you better with this issue with advanced troubleshooting. If you need help creating a ticket, please let us know!