cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Rift audio" is directed to speakers, headphones on Rift not playing sound

LoopyChew
Honored Guest

Happening on my Rift, don't have a Rift S. The "Oculus Virtual Audio Device" seems to play strictly out of my speakers despite mirroring not enabled. Even with the Rift headphones selected, test sounds come out of my speakers. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, restarting the service, restarting my computer, to no avail. Anyone have any similar issues and figure out how to resolve it?

4 REPLIES 4

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @LoopyChew! We know how disappointing it can be when the audio isn't coming from the correct source. That can really effect the immersion experience, so we want to provide some troubleshooting steps for you to try.

• Check to make sure your Rift is selected as the audio source:
    • Open the Oculus app on your computer
    • Select Devices in the left menu and then click Rift
    • Below Audio, check to make sure Rift Headset is selected and that the audio slider is not muted, or set all the way to the left
  • Check to make sure the sound of your computer is turned up
  • Check to see if there’s any updates for your Rift:
    • Open the Oculus app on your computer
    • Select Library in the left menu and then click Updates to check for updates
  • Re-seat the Rift / Rift S cable
  • Re-seat headphones
  • Try another USB 3.0 port
  • Re-install Oculus Home application

We hope you find these troubleshooting steps useful and are able to hear your gaming through your headset again.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Let's see, so far I've:

• Verified that the Rift is the audio source
  • Turned up the sound
  • Updated the Rift application and firmware

I'll try the others shortly, but I have a couple of questions first:

• How do I re-seat the headphones on the Rift 1?
  • Will uninstalling/reinstalling the Oculus Home application cause me to lose data for any of my other applications? Will I need to reinstall anything or back up save states first?

Hi there LoopyChew. Love that handle! Thank you for following through on those steps and for raising such important questions! We'd prefer being safe than sorry.

To reseat the headphones, simply unplug them and then plug them back in after about ten seconds.

Uninstalling your Oculus app shouldn't result in the loss of any current data. However, you can always enable the Cloud Backup before uninstalling or resetting your headset.

We hope our assistance was beneficial to you. Reach back out if you find the need!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hello there. We're reaching out to see if the issues has been resolved. Let us know if you still need assistance!