cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The Climb" wont start on headset, gives error "Sorry you are having issues starting The Climb"

captaintrips
Explorer
Just purchased "The Climb" and it's the only app that's causing any issue... all other apps/games/oculus home open no problem.

Displays error in headset "Sorry we are having issues starting the climb. Please check your desktop for any menus, options or errors required to run the game". I've tried unistalling the game and reinstalling.

system specs: 

Intel 5960x 8-core
EVGA X99 FTW, latest bios
(2) Nvidia Titan X 12GB gpu's (SLI disabled for Oculus), latest NVidia drivers installed
64GB DDR4 ram
Windows 10 with latest updates

I've tried rebooting, uninstalling game, reinstalling, rebooting again, still same issue. Any work arounds?
23 REPLIES 23

Synthetic
Rising Star
I know this is a bit silly but you tried disabling second card in device manager
or actually taking it out mobo?

captaintrips
Explorer
@cybereality 

Thanks much for the quick response 🙂

As requested, attached are the diag files. Just looking at the AutoAnalysis log file in the gatherer tool shows clear issues with "The Climb" launching.

@synthetic

Haven't tried completely disabling the second card yet (just disabling SLI via NVidia control panel, of course) but I will and will update if that resolved.

cybereality
Grand Champion
OK, I'll have someone take a look.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

captaintrips
Explorer

Synthetic said:

I know this is a bit silly but you tried disabling second card in device manager
or actually taking it out mobo?

@Synthetic 

YOU, SIR, ARE A GENIUS. THIS WORKED!!!

I disabled the 2nd GPU entirely in the Device Manager, so Windows didn't even recognize the second Titan X installed. I connected the Rift to the HDMI on the single GPU that was still enabled (unfortunately, my LG TV had to be unplugged because it was using that port). I also unplugged the Vive from the displayport on that card. Then I rebooted my PC... start up "The Climb" (had to blindly type in my windows password as I had no monitor, lol), put on the headset, it went to oculus home, started the climb, saw the loading screen, and then... boom.... right into the game no issues.

While this is a workaround, I can't see this being a permanent fix. That would mean I would have to disable that card, unhook all but the rift, re-hook the rift to the hdmi port on the single gpu, and be monitorless (my LG TV does not support displayport). Would be huge pain in the butt to have to do each and everytime I wanted to play that game (which is actually pretty awesome from the half-hour I played)

@cybereality
Seems that Oculus Client and Cryengine games have issues getting the game to the headset display on machines that have dual-gpu's, and only workaround is disabling the second gpu completely (not just disable SLI if its enabled, but completely disable the device in Windows Device Manager. Maybe Oculus could look at patching this in future, pretty please? :smiley: 

EDIT:  Yep, looks like a couple more Apps dislike having more than one GPU in the machine. Video and 360 Photo give the same warning in the headset, only they show this error on the desktop when run:

"Multi-GPU LUID Mismatch - This Application requires the Oculus Rift to be plugged into the primary video adapter. Please Plug your rift into the other HDMI port, or switch your primary monitor to be the one connected to the same video adapter as your rift." 

Which is sad, because the Titan X only has a single HDMI port, and my Rift and LG TV monitor can only use HDMI, thus I have to plug each one into a different card. Hope Oculus can resolve this in the future.

VRacious
Explorer
I am having this issue too.  My 970 only has a single HDMI and I have this hooked to my TV for spectating also over HDMI on the integrated adapter.  Other games work fine but The Climb fails in this way.  Actually, I don't even get video on the display, it just soon crashes after some sound effects of the intro with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED and needs a force quit on the desktop.

If I disable the integrated card in the Device Manager, then I get past that error, only to be presented with the skin-tone selection but it doesn't respond to any of the xbox controller's buttons except when the Home button preempts back to Oculus Activity screen.  The controller works fine everywhere else.

The Climb support says they haven't seen this issue in their test setups.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know it's not the climb, but I am experiencing the same issue with Pinball FX.  It is so frustrating as this was a game I was truly excited for.  Every other game is working perfectly, but every single time I try to load this sucker it fails saying: "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will
close the program and notify you if a solution is available" and on the headset itself it simply warns me it is taking a longer time then it should and that I might need to check messages on my CPU.  I don't get it at all.  I have a brand new Oculus ready Alienware computer and shouldn't have any issues.  Any thoughts anyone has for me?

amayes_me
Honored Guest
Same issue with Pinball FX, Oculus 360 Videos and Photos. Also a brand new Alienware rig...

paesan
Expert Protege

amayes.me said:

Same issue with Pinball FX, Oculus 360 Videos and Photos. Also a brand new Alienware rig...

I have dual 970 cards with sli disabled and had the same issues with those games. I was able to get around the app failing to load  by connecting my monitor using a dvi connection and connecting the rift to the hdmi connection on the same card. I don't have anything connected to the other card.
I am also having the xbox controller issue where the only button that responds is the home button.
The app failing to load issue in a dual graphic card setup needs to be addressed because many users run dual graphic cards.
Intel i7 7700k | Asus ROG Strix Z270E | G Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200 | Asus GTX1080-O8G
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 | Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500GB | Swiftech H240 X2 | WD Black 5TB | WD Black 4TB
Toshiba 1TB | Corsair Graphite 760T | Windows 10 64 bit | Rift CV1 + Touch | StarTech 4 port PCI Express USB 3 - 5Gbps

RobHermans
Superstar
@VRacious & @DoctorFate : you guys are not having the same issue as other posters in this thread. Don't use the HDMI on-board connection while the Rift is plugged into the HDMI on the gfx card. Both Rift and monitor/TV must be connected to the same video card. (The other posters in this thread are already doing that.)

tvvx08jb0yfr.jpg

VRacious
Explorer
@RobHermans - What shows on the TV when the Rift is in use when you use the same graphics card for both devices?  I don't have a DVI to HDMI adapter laying around to try it and since my configuration works for most other games, not supporting this configuration without extra dongles seems like a bug that needs fixing in those games or in CryEngine.  (But I get that there might be nuances among the symptoms.)
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?