cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your computer does not meet the updated minimum specifications" on RTX 3070 laptop

marianoggf
Explorer

Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing poor performance with my Oculus Quest 2 on a MSI Ge76-UG gaming laptop, and I can confirm that every VR game I tried was using the 3070 laptop GPU and not the one from Intel.

Before this I had a desktop PC with a gtx 1080 and the vr performance was way better, even though every other spec of it was worse than the ones of this laptop.

I already tried all the common solutions, like updating NVIDIA drivers, reinstalling everything, and so on.

I do get the "your computer does not meet the updated minimum specifications, which can lead to poor experience in VR" message, which is very weird to me. (I ran OculusCompatCheck.exe, and it says that the gpu is not compatible with Rift and Rift S, maybe that's related)

Does Oculus don't have support for 30xx laptop GPUs? Could that be the problem?

Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
RAM: 64.0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop - 8GB GDDR6

I'm currently using the Link cable and a 3.2 gen2 USB.

Thanks! 

(Sorry for my bad English)

image.png

20 REPLIES 20

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

"Your computer does not meet the updated minimum specifications" on RTX 3070 laptop

Yup - should have bought the RTX 3090 instead

RuneSR2_0-1624616127960.png

Your solution: 

Spoiler
unnamed.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I have the same issue with my Lenovo Legion 7 rtx 3080…We need an update! 
However i have no problem with Steam games.

ALP11A
Honored Guest

I also have quest 2 and plan to buy laptop legion 5 pro with RTX 3070. I read some say the GPU is not compatible, but I also read some comments say that it is due to dual GPU in the laptop, which you have to bypass the low GPU and switch it to RTX 3070. Please let me know if it works. Thanks.

Nitereaver
Explorer

I disabled my onboard graphics day one. It still gives the error but it works. It's just annoying they won't update their software to recognize a gpu that has been out for awhile. SteamVR doesn't give the error either so not sure what's taking oculus  so long. I'm not one of the people who are saying they can't play though. Everything works over link just fine, it just puts up an annoying message that you can't get rid off.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@marianoggf  Besides Oculus being slow to include your laptop's 3070 gpu you should understand that all mobile gpu's perform poorly compared to desktop versions.  For example, your new laptop 3070 gpu is not significantly better than your old desktop 1080.  Also, since you had better cooling with your desktop you were probably not getting thermal related performance drops that you may be getting with your laptop.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-Laptop-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/m1445007vs3603

Had you wanted better performance with a laptop you probably should have gone with a rtx3080;

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3080-Laptop-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/m1443565vs3918

For good PCVR I think you should have just updated your desktop gpu to a proper rtx3070 or better gpu.  In general, gaming laptops are a waste of $'s imho.  Been there done that btw.  If you need a laptop for school/work I think you are best to buy and inexpensive one for those purposes and a proper desktop gaming pc for PCVR.  You can buy both the about the same cost as a high end so-called gaming laptop.

Also, you laptop cpu is pretty slow (~2.2Ghz I think) and while it may have a turbo mode to increase this a little, there is no way it will be able to compete with desktop cpu's.  Esp. when you include water cooling to allow for over clocking.

Anyway, live and learn, lol!  I started off in VR with a very expensive Alienware (so-called) gaming laptop and learnt the hard way as well.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Gelopinti
Honored Guest

Same error here with Acer Nitro 55 with RTX3060 😕

Poet_from_ice
Honored Guest

Same with Lenovo legion 5 3060 even though it have mux-switch 

Nitereaver
Explorer

This has been fixed on my MSI laptop. Not sure if it was Oculus or Nvidia who fixed it, but I just turned on the Oculus software and that message is not longer showing up. 

Also in my Acer Nitro 5 it has been resolved. I don't know if it is Nvidia or Oculus but pop up doesn't come anymore.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How did u fix it?