cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended Specs" ... but it totally does, and totally works.

Rayvolution
Level 7
This is a very, very minor issue. I'm just curious if anyone else had it happen to them. But the Oculus store claims "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications, witch can lead to a poor experience in VR.", the problem is, I have a pretty beefy rig that goes beyond the minimum specs and I can play basically any VR game I can throw on it at max settings.

My basic/Rift-important specs;
i7-2600k
16gb of DDR3 3200 Ram
EVGA GTX980
On board and dedicated USB 3.0 ports

I suspect it might think my processor is "too old" even though it's totally acceptable for the Rift, it is an early first or second gen i7. Alternatively, it could be doing something wacky like not detecting my USB 3.0 ports.

Either way, it's not affected the VR experience in any way what so ever, I'm just curious if anyone else has this popup?
73 REPLIES 73

Kangelos
Level 4
I have a phenom II 1100T normally working at 3.8ghz, 8gb ram and Asus r9 280x and i rarely
see my computer struggling in any CPU core.
I am still using the DK2 which ofcourse is not the same (cv1 is 15fps more) and i am pretty sure i will have issues with the CV1. So far i can max most of the games i played and i am pretty sure that if i put a better GPU
on the same system it will work like a charm with the CV1.

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13

This is a very, very minor issue. I'm just curious if anyone else had it happen to them. But the Oculus store claims "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications, witch can lead to a poor experience in VR.", the problem is, I have a pretty beefy rig that goes beyond the minimum specs and I can play basically any VR game I can throw on it at max settings.

My basic/Rift-important specs;
i7-2600k
16gb of DDR3 3200 Ram
EVGA GTX980
On board and dedicated USB 3.0 ports

I suspect it might think my processor is "too old" even though it's totally acceptable for the Rift, it is an early first or second gen i7. Alternatively, it could be doing something wacky like not detecting my USB 3.0 ports.

Either way, it's not affected the VR experience in any way what so ever, I'm just curious if anyone else has this popup?

I think you might be mistaken and you haven't actually maxed out every game.

Thijssss
Level 3
A better test would be nice to have; you can of course run GPU, Memory and CPU graphers on your desktop while gaming with the Rift to confirm but it might just max out whatever it can anyway. I have an i7 920 and I was gaming this weeking on the stock speed of 2.6Ghz just fine in VR. I will overclock it to 4Ghz again soon because it can 🙂

No external benchmark suite such as SteamVR performance test or those specialized tests will do really; we need an in VR test which includes game Ai and such.
And this not just for those with older hardware and overclocking; I want to test or see tests of new and upcoming hardware as well for future upgrade planning.

Thoemse
Level 4
They just madema compatibility list. It is no intelligent process that checks your PC. My i3770k @4.6ghz, 16 GB RAM and a Fury X does not meet the requirements either. :dizzy: 
It runs smooth though - with a Vive.  >:)

IceStorm_III
Level 2

The minimum CPU being put into Oculus Ready PCs is an i5-6400. Passmark lists the single-threaded performance results for that CPU at 1822, which is lower than the i5-4950's 2122 rating.

The i7 2600k, i5 3570k, and i7 3770k all outperform the i5-6400. The warning message is annoying, but incorrect in light of what's shipping as an "Oculus Ready" PC. 

Enforcer32
Level 2
Give users the option to turn off that notification if they so desire in options? just seems absolute nonsense if we arent having any issue at all and we have to put up with that message non stop.

Tannhaeuser
Level 2
Owning a i7-2600 here, too, and everything works 100% fine. Even without OC. That damn message is really annoying. Even tried to edit the name of the CPU via regedit, but that didn't work. For Oculus obviously it'd be no effort at all to add a simple switch for that. But they won't do that at the moment, as they want to sell partner-branded Rift-PCs. At least that's what I assume here. 

VRsteve
Level 5
Using my DK2 on my old rig which has an i7 920 @ 4ghz and X2 GTX 680 4GB cards in SLI. I'm aware SLI isn't supported though.

Lucky's Tail, Chronos, Apollo 11 and Technolust all work perfect even on highest in game settings.

Adrift isn't really playable due to low fram rate, Ethan Carter and Fated work great once on lowest settings.

Not to bad for an aging rig. Got my 980ti and 4970k rig sat ready for CV1 delivery in June, hopefully sooner 🙂

Edit, The Climb works perfect also at highest setting which I was really impressed with, looks great 🙂

blanes
Level 8

blanes said:

It is simply incorrect information and it leads some people to unnecessarily go and buy upgrades when there is no immediate need. Certainly at some point we all upgrade but don't go and do it because a poorly implemented app tells you that it is needed when it clearly is not. It could be fixed and has been spoken about plenty but it is not and so you keep hearing people questioning it.  No problems at all with pCars and have played it since the very first build - not in VR back then though.

How is it incorrect information? Can you show which benchmarks you are referencing that rated the 4590 as having worse single-threaded speed than a non-overclocked 2600k? The point is, Oculus had to set a minimum system, because they wanted to *guarantee* a certain level of performance to *all* Rift owners, that developers can rely on. Rift developers expect all Rift owners to have a 4590 or newer CPU.

Perhaps you didn't read other comment - my 2600K is oc'd to 4.8ghz and that particular cpu is well known for overclocking because Intel designed it that way - the "K" identifies it as such.  The mis-information is due to the program not looking at the speed or computational output of the cpu but merely the cpu name. There is nothing wrong with setting a minimum spec but a minimum spec is not just the name of a cpu but the computational power of the complete system. The simple fact is that a normal 2600K overclocked, as it was designed to do, will exceed that minimum spec with good gpu and that is why important to benchmark everything fully before arriving at a conclusion whether component xyz needs upgrading or not.  The Steam VR benchmark program proves a correct benchmark can be made so the request to Oculus is to update their program to reflect the similar accurate information. People do make decisions based on such things. 

jon
Level 7

blanes said:

It is simply incorrect information and it leads some people to unnecessarily go and buy upgrades when there is no immediate need. Certainly at some point we all upgrade but don't go and do it because a poorly implemented app tells you that it is needed when it clearly is not. It could be fixed and has been spoken about plenty but it is not and so you keep hearing people questioning it.  No problems at all with pCars and have played it since the very first build - not in VR back then though.

I agree, it would be nice to be able to toggle off display of this highly inaccurate warning.