cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rift/oculus softare freezing/crashing computer

Fayhe
Explorer
so I recently got my rift, and whenever my oculus software is open, it tends to completely freeze up my computer. as in, my desktop freezes and doesnt respond, my oculus freezes and shows a still image and the light sensor doesnt respond(so the screen stays on even when I take off the headset), I cant even do ctrl+alt+delete or ANYTHING, sound still plays for a few seconds but really nothing else. it doesnt seem like it resolves itself either, so far the only solution has been to cut my PC's power and hope after restarting it wont happen again.

this only happens under certain conditions however. usually it happens when:

- I start up oculus software but dont do anything else (relatively rare)
- I start another VR application while oculus software is open, in most cases this is steamVR (too fucking often)
- I have oculus software open in the background and open a fullscreen application of any type (mostly stuff like putting a youtube video in fullscreen, very reproducable)
- generally when using my browser with the oculus software running in the background (sporadically)

it is a huge issue for me since it means not only having to restart my computer multiple times whenever I start up vr but also forces me to close oculus software every time I am not using VR which is really annoying.

I have googled far and wide and have yet to see other people experience this so I decided to post it here. anyone who can help me?

my specs are:
intel xeon E3-1231 v3 (basically an i7-4770k without iGPU)
radeon r9 280
Phillips 144hz monitor connected via DVI
rift as well as both sensors are connected via usb3
oculus software is installed on an OCZ SSD under program files (not x86)
Windows 10

yes my drivers are up to date.
21 REPLIES 21

SetoNaikai
Honored Guest

I’m having the same issue as the original poster. I can’t seem to get my HDMI plugged in from the oculus rift at the same time as my 4K TV (LG CX) without the computer freezing. Trying to replace the different cords that run from my computer (2070 Graphics Card) to my 4K TV to see if that might help fix it. Looking for other ways people have solved this issue.

SetoNaikai
Honored Guest

I was able to fix the issue by changing the cord that connected my PC to my 4K TV to one that was rated for 4K and 60hz. The cord that I used was this one: Active DisplayPort to HDMI Cable 4K@60Hz HDR, CableCreation 8FT Unidirectional DisplayPort to HDMI M...