cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seriously sick of this update required loop

jackblasto
Explorer
HOW do I get around this? Windows 10. Geforce 980Ti card. Never ends. Always has issues updating itself. Gets stuck in a loop. I have had to keep my windows firewall down to make this work historically annoying but this last time (and now) Im simpply stuck and it won't update as it constantly tries, fails, tries, fails.... WHAT GIVES??? This is supposed to be a REAL product distributed for normal use. Why is it so weird with a "normal" OS, windows 10, and a normal card to get it to work? Any advice on how to get it to update?
9 REPLIES 9

jackblasto
Explorer
2g32b5848wda.png

jackblasto
Explorer
If for some reason you can't imagine a never ending prompt to update your oculus rift then by all means watch this screencast 🙂 https://vimeo.com/216431579

There is no reason a consumer device should have problems updating properly and this happens routinely. Extremely dissapointed in how Oculus continues to handle this

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Something on your computer causing this or everybody would have this problem. I suspect a firewall setting since you said that turning your firewall off in the past got it to work. Maybe some other security software on your PC causing this or a corruption on the PC.

Have you tried doing the whole Oculus setup again from scratch?

jackblasto
Explorer
Firewall is totally off. Antivirus also is off.I really didnt want to do a fresh setup but if thats what I have to do thats what I have to do

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think that's the only thing you can do to eliminate it been a corrupt setup. Come back if that doesn't work and we'll see if we can help further. Do let use know if it works though. Cheers!

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's not normal. It could be a corrupted install. Try downloading the setup again and running a repair install. That will usually fix it. 
https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/setup/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

jackblasto
Explorer
uninstall and reinstall have it running now so thank you for the link to reinstall. Only pain I guess is now having to redownload 120 gigs of games... BUT it's working and hopefully will update in the future. 🙂 Thank you

cybereality
Grand Champion
I believe the repair install will keep your games, in case you need to do in in the future. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

motoracer10975
Honored Guest
I know this is really old but I had the same issue and finally realized it was because I had moved the support folder from my ssd to my standard drive because of the size and used mklink to make a hard link.  This worked fine for the games but was causing the upgrade to fail.  Once I moved it back the install was successful.