cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sobering thought...

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
I was feeling a little *cough*... under the weather earlier, and it occured to me that the reason I love VR so much is that it is the best way that I know of to be someone else lol...is that good or bad?
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.
12 REPLIES 12

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So when you were someone else did you still have the cough? Maybe you passed it on to yourself if you did, or should I say the other person you became..

Grimdanfango
Expert Protege
A bit of escapism isn't going to hurt... I'm no psychologist, but I'd hazard a guess that it could even be beneficial when having to deal with the stresses/anxiety of day-to-day life, and VR is a great way to shut out the world and all its concerns for a while.
I wouldn't feel guilty or worried about it, just keep in mind that you shouldn't allow yourself to become dependant on it.  If you ever feel that's happening, it'd probably be a good time to reach out for help with whatever might be causing you to feel *cough*... under the weather 😛

Don't see anything wrong with this - no different to day-dreaming while in school imagining you're some superhero or something.  That's why we play games isn't it?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
I agree with everyone here.  The whole purpose of entertainment is to transport us away from the 'grind' for a little bit.  The entertainment format varies from person to person. In this community, VR is part of that.

As long as it doesn't interfere with your obligations in meatspace. 

However, I respect the fact that you asked yourself the question in the first place.   I believe we should all question ourselves periodically to stay in check.

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
'meatspace' LOL!!....love it. 
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

Blahde
Protege
I used to call it 'flat space' but I am, after a month in VR a Vet!  😄

Meatspace it is!!

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I have yet to find a VR game that really makes me feel like someone else. Most games make me feel like I'm somewhere else. 

I'm hoping LA Noire will make me feel like a detective. 

What game made you feel like someone else?
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
I dont play many games on my Rift...TBH I dont think its 'games' where the Rift shines :neutral:

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oh I know what you were watching that made you feel like someone else, naughty pants.

I approve.
 😘