Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

jayhawk
Superstar

CrashFu said:

I seem to recall someone explaining OLED screens and black levels on the forum not too long ago..

Something about how OLEDs only get "darker blacks" by literally turning pixels off?

And most software doesn't even use that feature because of some side-effect that looks bad?   Does that sound about right?

I remember that. I think it was the smearing that results from the on/off switching. I honestly think people are making a bigger deal out of the LCD vs. OLED thing, because that's what the internet does. Bandwagon hop. Like I've said, if LCD was so bad then why does the PIMAX, PSVR, and Reverb use it.

lensmandave
Superstar

jayhawk said:

CrashFu said:

I seem to recall someone explaining OLED screens and black levels on the forum not too long ago..

Something about how OLEDs only get "darker blacks" by literally turning pixels off?

And most software doesn't even use that feature because of some side-effect that looks bad?   Does that sound about right?

I remember that. I think it was the smearing that results from the on/off switching. I honestly think people are making a bigger deal out of the LCD vs. OLED thing, because that's what the internet does. Bandwagon hop. Like I've said, if LCD was so bad then why does the PIMAX, PSVR, and Reverb use it.

Yep, OLEDs are capable of giving a perfect black...but the trade off is a compression of the dark tones making it difficult to pick out detail in dark parts of the scene. The only fix is to up the gain but then you lose your nice blacks. The  other trade off, of course, is most OLED displays have a pentile matrix so the observed pixel count is lower thus rendering lower detail.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not too worried about the black levels tbh, even with games like horror games and Elite Dangerous. People that have used the Go have said that the black levels are pretty good and I'm pretty sure that you'll get used to them.

inovator
Consultant
Absolutely 

Anonymous
Not applicable

jayhawk said:

CrashFu said:

I think most people would be ok with switch - it was just the added compound of changes that result in a lot of hate for the Rift S.  If I could though - I would still rather have OLED vs LCD - only for the fact of the switching and light being created from pixels vs a back light. The problem is that most OLED is pentile while LCD been around so long that full RGB is cheap to produce compare to a OLED pentile is.

With that said - if they use that money back towards a higher resolution panel - then I think everyone would be ok with this - but the Rift S went down to a single panel and that just another change that resulted in more hate. Over all - I think once people try out full RGB LCD I think that comment will vanish over time. At the same time Rift S will just have to deal with the too many changes and not enough upgrade value for a while. Even more so if Valve can pull off a 1.5 headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Easter Eggs in some Touch controllers:

https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bcgms0/your_touch_controllers_might_have_a_cool_easter/

Doesn't say whether they'll be in Quest or Rift S controllers though, maybe in both seeing as they're the same controllers?

If I end up getting a Rift S rather than a Valve Index I'll probably buy a second one to use if I get one with Easter Eggs.

This is the sort of thing that collectors will go for in 50 years or so. My distant relatives will thank me for it I think, along with my two factory sealed DK1s  B)

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Lol@ big brother is watching. I guess I can see why Facebook may not like that one given recent news from Facebook and the existing tin foil hatters thinking zuk wants to watch them playing with themselves in their undercrackers through the rift external sensors.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol@ big brother is watching. I guess I can see why Facebook may not like that one given recent news from Facebook and the existing tin foil hatters thinking zuk wants to watch them playing with themselves in their undercrackers through the rift external sensors.

Makes me want to try to hack @vannagirl's sensors now that I'm thinking about it...

pyroth309
Visionary

Eh, wouldn't say it's tin foil hatter's or far fetched given Facebook's history and what Amazon is doing ATM. Whether you care or not is a different story.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-04-10/is-anyone-listening-to-you-on-alexa-a-global-...