cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you lose weight using VR? We are going to try! VR Fitness Series Week 1 - BoxVR

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmFUaWBbOlw

So today I am starting a new weekly fitness series using VR with my wife Stacey on the channel. We have both decided enough is enough and we want to lose weight and get fit, but the problem is we have no time in our busy lives to go to the gym and working out. Recently I have been seeing stuff in the press about people using VR as a means of loosing weight and after discussing this with Stacey we both decided to give it a try! So with this in mind we are going to pick a different game every week going forward and each dedicate 30 minutes per day to playing it with the intention of getting in a cardio workout by doing so.

For the first week we have chosen the recently released BoxVR. This is indeed a fitness app and really kicked out butts the first few times we tried it. Overall the game is great and we both really enjoyed the workout it gives! BoxVR in itself is fun and very challenging. The graphics and music were a nice touch to really keep us pumped up and wanting to come back for more. We did encounter a few glitches here and there such as words getting stuck on the screen or the entire game freezing from time to time but these were few and far between and didn't really hinder us from achieving the goal of using BoxVR to work out with. The one thing I wish the game did have was the ability to set it up for multiple users.... Even though we logged in from 2 separate Oculus accounts to which had the game installed but on the same computer, it did not track our stats individually! So developers if you are going to position your game as a fitness app then please consider adding this ability as multiple people in one household may want to use it together.

Well that's all for this week but we will be back next week with a recap of how we did during our first week with BoxVR and will be choosing a new game to play for week 2. If you have any suggestions on what we should play next or just some words of encouragement for us to keep going please let us know in the comments below!

"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
21 REPLIES 21

Digikid1
Consultant
Yes you can. A youtuber did this a while back. I’ll try to find the video but i know the channel name is Bitwit. 

Digikid1
Consultant
https://youtu.be/eAhvtxXEHko

https://youtu.be/9tAbVdauABU

and just for fun and giggles This as well. I love this channel. 

https://youtu.be/MwXYPSQBB6Q

jayhawk
Superstar

snowdog said:

It's a well-known medical fact that exercise is bad for you. Just think about it: 

• How many people get injured whilst exercising?
  • How many people get run over whilst jogging?
  • How many people die of heart attacks whilst exercising?
  • How many people get attacked by sharks whilst swimming?
  • How many people drown whilst swimming.

Doctor Sum Ting Wong Advice

Uploaded 12/19/2009

This is my new Doctor! No wonder Japanese people live so long take advice!

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?

A: Your heart only good for so many beats, and that it...don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiency. What does cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So steak is nothing more than efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef also good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And pork chop can give you 100% of recommended daily allowance of vegetable product.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food are fried these day in vegetable oil. In fact, they permeated by it. How could getting more vegetable be bad for you?!?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming good for your figure, explain whale to me..

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets. 

Digikid1
Consultant
First one is actually true. 

Digikid1 said:

First one is actually true. 

Noooooo... fitness cuts your resting heart rate more than exercise speeds it up... as long as I don't visit those recreational websites too often, I'm winning

Digikid1
Consultant
"Recreational"....

SSSuuuurrrreeee........

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

It's a well-known medical fact that exercise is bad for you. Just think about it: 
  • How many people get run over whilst jogging?

Which brings me to a story. Years ago I once asked a jogger what the time was because I was running late for something. He stopped, looked at his watch for a brief moment to give me the time, and then jogged into the road attempting to cross to the other side. He was immediately taken off his feet by a car travelling at about 50 mph and he was thrown about 20 ft into the air. He survived with broken bones cuts and bruising, but I never distract anyone who is exercising like this anymore. I thought by asking the guy the time that I'd killed him at first. 

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
As it happens, I got knocked over by a car whilst jogging. This was in Germany - pedestrians have priority at road junctions (on the joining road) and the guy didn't even look in the direction me & my buddy were coming from.

I bounce well, though - got up, carried on running, leaving the shocked driver pale as a ghost.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Sorry, back on topic. I just want to say after watching your workout videos GamerDude, that I reckon your wife would kick your butt in a boxing ring. Her timing on those punches was excellent..

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
@RedRizla Of that I have no doubt! [;]-)
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"