cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dev Kit 2 as monitor

13thFloor
Honored Guest
So was wondering since getting big blockbuster games enabled for 3D VR on the rift can be tricky was wondering if there is a simple way to just pump the video to the VR to use as a HMD. Can Nvidia control panel do this by default or something like tridef/virieo will do the trick.

Not worried about VR/3D and tracking. Just to feel like I'm looking at a large screen. Although a 2560x1440 HMD would be much better for this!

Thoughts? Just use tridef/virieo?
Intel i920@4ghz, 12gb ram, Windows 7 Nvidia GTX 970 4gb, 120gb SSD, OR Dev Kit 1&2
6 REPLIES 6

MidnightSun323
Honored Guest
Well it would need to be rendered in stereoscopic, you can't really use it as a monitor. You can use VR Desktop and open up a media file.

13thFloor
Honored Guest
Tried VR desktop, didn't like the experience.

It only has to split the image and mirror it on both sides, not render it in stereo which is 3D and double the hit on the GPU being slightly offset from each other.
Intel i920@4ghz, 12gb ram, Windows 7 Nvidia GTX 970 4gb, 120gb SSD, OR Dev Kit 1&2

SomeBroDude
Honored Guest
Buy a Mac and you are set.

It's called default settings / taking the lens off and having Unix comment sense.

Love the Rift design, as an avid Hunter, I didn't need instructions for a full dismantle.

Anyone else got Solder? 🙂

13thFloor
Honored Guest
So your eyes can focus at that short distance when lenses are removed. Impressive!!

Besides I don't need a MAC I have Linux for my servers, and windows as a simple interface for browsing the web, playing Rift demos or 2D games, listening to music and accessing my UNIX services. Right tool for the right job I say. 😉

SomeBroDude
Honored Guest
"13thFloor" wrote:
So your eyes can focus at that short distance when lenses are removed. Impressive!!

Besides I don't need a MAC I have Linux for my servers, and windows as a simple interface for browsing the web, playing Rift demos or 2D games, listening to music and accessing my UNIX services. Right tool for the right job I say. 😉

I'm creating virtual Bat-layer and trying not to kill myself.

21 steps, not 20 to the garage floor #fuckingOw

Why am I doing long USB when I should be doing USB to ethernet to wifi? #lazy

13thFloor
Honored Guest
I'm not sure what to say to that or how it fits in with this topic. Sounds fun though.