cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Begins Testing of Oculus VR Advertising

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1623873364342.png

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/16/facebook-to-begin-testing-ads-inside-oculus-virtual-reality-headsets...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
194 REPLIES 194

BINGO!!. kev..........and we are all aware now this is FB modus operandi, they sell the hardware and software then once the consumer has bought both they then do a bait and switch, but the bigger picture here is that FB are about to offer something unique to advertisers that cannot be offered on any other system, a 100% guarantee to advertisers that their ads cannot be blocked on the Quest brand, and that is one hell of a holy grail for advertisers and for FB, and the cherry on the top of that cake will be that the majority of users will no doubt just sit through the ads rather than remove the HMD to dodge them, so quite literally the Quest brand will become The Clockwork Orange eye clamps of advertising revenue for FB. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

@OmegaM4N wrote:

FB are about to offer something unique to advertisers that cannot be offered on any other system, a 100% guarantee to advertisers that their ads cannot be blocked on the Quest brand

That is actually not true. If you read the blog that @Ryanality provided, you will see that users can customize the Ads, and yes, even block certain Advertisers.

Zenbane_0-1624137225135.png

This is how Facebook works to this day. I have blocked Advertisers successfully.

As I mentioned, Space Pirate Trainer has deployed in-game Ads since 2019. Since you are primarily an Index user, you would be able to see these in-game Ads in SteamVR yourself. This is no more a bait-n-switch by Steam than it would be by Facebook and Oculus.

Advertisements are a common part of our daily lives. Which is why nobody has tried to rally against Valve and HTC for their existing approach to VR Ads. Oculus just seems to get more pushback because they are the most popular and most successful. But Oculus is doing nothing different than others in the same industry and markets.

Yes it does seem to be how FB operates. But I also expect that we will see them interested in this "test" to gauge the limits of the communities interest.

Its like the post on the FB forum stated, we have seen HTC try this through their VIVEPORT platform back in 2017, but that was a opt in platform and was not dropped on the userbase.

We will now need to see how the October move with login, and reaction to the Horizon Beta to gauge the full extent of what is being planned,. 
I wonder if the new BeatSaber DLC will also include a "test" of this apporach?
If the devs owned by FB need support from Advertising revenue, then it will be interesting to see the split. 

Thanks as always for the interesting comments. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

@kevinw729 wrote:

we have seen HTC try this through their VIVEPORT platform back in 2017, but that was a opt in platform and was not dropped on the userbase.

How is the current situation any different? Facebook is testing this out with select Apps, they are not dropping it on the entire Oculus ecosystem.

The bigger point, is that there was zero backlash about HTC's introduction to Ads; opt-in or otherwise. 

On top of which, the devs of Space Pirate Trainer very much 100% dropped in-game Ads on their userbase. With no option to remove or refund due to the Ads. Where was the backlash to that game? Where was the backlash to Valve for letting it happen on SteamVR?

History shows that consumers are fine with Ads. Wither Opt-In only like HTC, or dropped on users completely like with Space Pirate Trainer on SteamVR.

HTC and SteamVR already "tested" the waters for Facebook. Users accepted it just fine.

From what I have observed, most users on the Facebook VR Groups today are 100% accepting of VR Ads. Only a small number seem concerned or expressing the need to abandon ship.

I think this thread also serves as a good example. Where active Oculus users are concerned, but are willing to give Facebook and Oculus a chance to get it right. The only real backlash in this specific thread comes from Index users. So I think Oculus is doing okay so far, all things considered.

Yeap, and i don't think it's to big of a stretch to foresee that if this takes off big then advertisers will end up calling the shots at some point because noone says no to big spending advertisers. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed. FB views the people as the commodity always have and this is no different. I am not saying that is wrong, it is just their business model.  The device is just a means to get to that commodity.

@Anonymous wrote:

Indeed. FB views the people as the commodity always have and this is no different.

Which is no different than Microsoft, Valve, HTC, HP, Apple, Android, Google, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and just about every other for-profit organization that offers consumer products and services.

There's no reason to single out Facebook in this manner.

inovator
Consultant

Ok I sat on the sidelines long enough. Heres reality:

Unbelievable all the complaints. Facebook paid 2.5 billion for the rights to this tech. This is facebook we're talking about. What do you sll think was going to happen. This is the only company with the will and the bucks to bring vr mainstream. If people don't like it and I respect their choice not to like it then run along to other alternatives. If facebook is to intrusive with their ads and lose enough people they will tone it down. If they are intrusive to an individual who leaves but a majority are ok with it they will keep doing it. Its business.

@inovator wrote:

Ok I sat on the sidelines long enough. Heres reality:

Unbelievable all the complaints. Facebook paid 2.5 billion for the rights to this tech. This is facebook we're talking about. What do you sll think was going to happen. This is the only company with the will and the bucks to bring vr mainstream. If people don't like it and I respect their choice not to like it then run along to other alternatives. If facebook is to intrusive with their ads and lose enough people they will tone it down. If they are intrusive to an individual who leaves but a majority are ok with it they will keep doing it. Its business.

Well said, inovator. I couldn't agree more. 

As DaftnDirect mentioned, it would be nice if this discussion could expand to other viewpoints and a variety of posters. Rather than the same 'ol same 'ol. Cheers, buddy!

@jab wrote:

This is all about 'boiling the frog' and slowly increasing the users willingness to accept ads and giving up privacy. And ultimately even having them pay for the 'privilege' of getting ads in the process.

Ah yes, the whole boiling frog metaphor makes its triumphant return lol

I saw that Kevin posted that boiling frog meme a few pages back in this discussion. The boiling frog always makes an appearance as a way to falsely portray Oculus enthusiasts as consumers who are unaware that they are in hot water. But we all know that this is not true in the least.

Anyone using Steam, HP, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, etc, is giving up their privacy to the same degree as anyone using Oculus and Facebook. One is not worse than the other.

If Oculus users are supposed to be the boiling frog, then so is everyone else involved in the VR Market. This includes location based VR (e.g. VR Arcades). Where consumers pay by the hour for an experience that is lesser than what we get at home (boiling frog) and business owners take huge risk in financial losses as noted by the mass closures in 2019 and 2020 (boiling frog).

Everything is a risk, and everything requires sacrifice. Yet all of this takes place with consumers being fully informed. And as long as consumers remain informed (which we have been for years), then the boiling frog metaphor simply does not apply.

I would say it is the opposite: Anyone jumping ship from Oculus to, lets say, Steam for VR with the idea that they are giving up less privacy and will be exposed to less data sharing and Advertisements... would in fact be closer to the boiling frog metaphor than the fully informed Oculus consumer.