cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook uncertainty? Solution: Make an Open Standard

FDP
Explorer
It occurred to me that there is a very simple, relatively painless way that Oculus could prove a certain level of commitment to the development community in light of their recent acquisition by Facebook.

If Oculus wants to help foster an "open, connected world" as they stated in their press release, then they should agree to publish and support an open VR standard. Instead of developers being tied to Oculus (and Facebook) they would then be developing for this new open standard (that other headset manufacturers can get behind).

If Facebook doesn't interfere with Oculus and merely helps back it up with capital, as the PR message from both companies has been suggesting, then this is a win-win for both Oculus and the community. Facebook can create an online VR world that developers can get behind, and Oculus can make hardware that works with this world.

Oculus would be able to retain its credo as an independent VR-focused business and the development community wouldn't be tying themselves to a company that many of them don't trust or have had negative prior experiences with. If Oculus continues to be the best, nobody has to jump ship to another headset manufacturer. If Oculus becomes an evil minion of Facebook and other companies come in with a better product, then Oculus will have done its part for VR by establishing an open standard and helping push the technology forward, no harm, no foul. Developers and users would be free to move to other headset manufacturers, and Facebook would be able to keep using Oculus headsets.
3 REPLIES 3

kevinm1278
Explorer
I agree 100%. I would like to go a step further and propose that Facebook make the units available for free or a small monthly fee for those that aren't able to afford or just don't wanna pay for the units. This one could be supported with ads in game. Then they could sell a regular $300-$500 unit to those that want nothing to do with Facebook.

raidho36
Explorer
Facebook, as a software company, is more than anyone interested in open standard, so that as many devices as possible could adopt it and thus being compatible with Facebook apps.

Sony and Microsoft, on the other hand, are hardware companies and they would benefit if their devices weren't compatible with one another, this is how they snitch the money from each other.

FDP
Explorer
Facebook is not a software company, it is a service provider. They haven't been that open in the past, I still don't think users can export their own data...

This is probably a question of whether Oculus can actually stand by their commitments re: the SDK, and whether we as a community can be active in helping them do that.