cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Day Critique of CV1

Roaster
Rising Star
I received my Rift today 5/13/16 (order # 284xxx), 2nd day after receiving the order processing email. The window was 5/9 - 5/19 so right on track. There was a bit of magic in the delivery, because I got home from work to find an attempted delivery note on the door, and when I went to the pick up location the truck was just pulling in to drop off the goods. For some reason the UPS guy asks if anyone is there from my street, I grins and says that's me! The box has no indication of Ocularity inside.
   I was a little afraid to actually open it and set it up due to the horror stories you hear around here, but the installation of the software was very easy and it guides you through every step of the process. Tip of the hat to the software guys.
   My machine is relatively high-end, with an Asus X99 pro mb, i7-5820K cpu @ 4ghz, 32 gb DDR4 mem, m.2 SSD, GTX 980Ti, and every cable plugged in was met with an OK.  The remote syncd right away, the xbone controller paired up easily, and I was ready for fitting. 
   There isn't much room inside the Rift for glasses. In other words, the lenses are quite close to the gasket and I'm afraid my specs will rub on the shiney and do damage, so I'm going bare eyed ... until maybe I make some kind of spacer to ensure a separation.  My eyes aren't that bad so I can get away with it, but a brief test showed that the clarity improves with my prescription lenses. 
The view inside is excellent, and the glare- sunbeams issue is way overblown. There are some light effects but mostly in a band around the outer edges of the scene. The center area where you concentrate your gaze is clear and I only noticed any discrete pixels in solid color objects. Not too bad, but it's not 4K.  I find the pixelation easy to ignore. The light rays only appear when I move my head around, and seem to disappear when stationary.  All in all I'd say it's a non issue, and a lot like wearing glasses.  Even though it degrades the image a bit, you just look through it.
Tracking is flawless and crisp.
If you're worried about getting a turd, don't, because it's better than I expected.
I'll be trying Eve Valkyrie and Proton Pulse soon, which will be a better test of the glare feature, but I'm not afraid any longer.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
21 REPLIES 21

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Yeh put things into perspective man. The GTX 980 Ti is a £500+ GPU alone, that's without all the other bits. If you look on Steam at the most commonly used cards you'll see "relatively" you're in the top 1% or so.   I think you're probably comparing to the likes of Cybereality who is a running a  tri or quad set up which goes from high end to just total overkill.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Roaster
Rising Star
Thanks.  I thought you were pointing and laughing. I felt bad about settling for the 300$ cpu. Those Samsung 950 pro m.2 SSD's have phenomenal r/w speeds, and it seems like the HD has always been the bottle neck to real world performance.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Roaster
Rising Star
To continue the observations ... The CV1 glare issue is pretty bad in certain situations.  One area it bothers me is in the video app when set to Moon ambient.  The dark background really sets it off and I have to work at ignoring the effect.  It's kinda ridiculous, but certain settings just aren't going to be usable. 
It may in fact be the reason we don't get true black screens.  The glare would look horrific.
Playing Mythos of the World it doesn't bother me much.  SOW, is there some place to get hints for that game?

blindman
Protege
@Roaster 
Been using the CV1 a few days now and I agree with your review. The god rays are very noticeable on the menu screen of eve valkyrie not a big deal but not noticeable during game play so really depends on the application we are running and how it was coded.
The positives definitely out weigh the negatives. If there were no negatives what would they do for CV2?
CV1 is much more comfortable to wear and noticeably lighter than DK2. Nice clean finished design and the headphones are great.
My DK2 I always had to adjust on my face to find the sweet spot for a clearer more focused picture but the CV1 I find I don't have to make any adjustment so the sweet spot must be much larger.
Overall CV1 picture quality is at least 30% better than the DK2. It is noticeably better. Not 4k but people have to be realistic. 
I think a lot of peoples problems may be traced back to their systems vs the CV1. Sure you can buy a sports car but if you can't pay for the premium gas it will run like crap.
My "relatively high end system" is almost identical to yours except I went with the 
i7-5930k cpu
We just need those touch controller

Roaster
Rising Star
July 1 is H2, so here's hoping it will be soon.
As a follow up to the eyeglass comments, I have found that the hinges of my glasses hit the outside frame of the headset first and do not come close to the CV1 lenses.  The trouble with that is the glasses are pressed so hard against my nose bridge that it gets too painful to wear for long.  I definitely need thicker gasket pieces.
Dear Oculus,
Will you ever have replacement face gaskets?  I can layer it with my own foam tape until I get the thickness I need.
Beside the use of glasses, that thing is going to get kinda grotie soon.  Just a stock replacement is all I ask.
A clean spare for guests and a couple for me to modify.  Please?

Roaster
Rising Star
@blindman 
Have you overclocked that cpu at all?  I was wondering how it would work starting at 3.5 ghz.  I got up to about 195 watts and the cooler I'm using was having trouble keeping up.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The issue with the glasses is more of a painful learning process. I wear glasses and contacts, but due to late night VR obsessions wearing contact lenses was becoming someone of a pain the arse. Mostly due to the fact that my eyes would dry out while wearing the headset after an hour. I kept having to take the Rift off to lubricate my lenses.

When I first tried it with glasses the Rift was pressing the glasses against my face so hard that I had marks around my nose; and after 20-30 minutes the discomfort was highly noticeable. That is when I switched to contact lens-only Rift gaming, but as I described above, the dry eyes issue set in.

Now I have completely mastered wearing the Rift with glasses and to be honest I almost prefer it. I no longer need to feel the Rift firmly pressed against my face. I wear it rather loose and I often forget that I'm wearing both the headset and a pair of glasses.

Everything from god rays, to blury vision, to comfort with glasses... it all becomes seamlessly easy to manage the longer you become accustomed to your Rift. Lately I have been comparing it to owning/mastering a musical instrument. The Rift and say, a Guitar, are very similar to me. In that the mind and body treat them as a separate object until lengthy practice and experience make it a natural extension of your body.

It sounds silly typing that out but I bet that a year+ from now when the Oculus Touch is out and there are international PvP tournaments with various multiplayer games, the big winners will be differentiated by their natural ability to function with a Rift - in contrast to people who still use it like just another peripheral.

blindman
Protege
I over clocked just to test got up to 4.6 running but very stable at 4.4 liquid cooled of course but I just run at stock 3.5 and all games at maxed settings no problem.
I am also running Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3000MHz which has to run over voltage at 1.35 volts to operate at 3000 MHz
And with CV1 hardware and s/w being so new I wanted the system to be as stable as possible and not introduce any weird bugs into the system.

Lemming1970
Rising Star
Get it overclocked 😉 it's rude not too. Within 2 days of getting my i7 6700K I had it running at 4.7mhz. free 17.5% upgrade.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Roaster
Rising Star
Aldha said:

Congrats on getting your Rift! Make sure to check out BlazeRush, it's so much fun!

Right you are!  The graphics are wicked cool.  Very 3D.  That game should be the definition of melee. Had me LOL many times.