cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I may have found the answer to the anti-scratching lenses..

AntDX316
Honored Guest
I emailed lenstech for an inquiry about how to make the lenses not scratch.. this is the reply

Anthony,

We manufacture and sell scratch resistant coatings for lenses and displays, but we don’t do application work. I might be able to recommend someone that can do it for you, but need to know the volume and geometry of the part.

Regards,

John

John W. Quinn
Lens Technology I, LLC
14256 Firestone Blvd | La Mirada | CA 90638
T: 714-690-6470 | F: 714-690-6471 | M: 310-493-3700

On Aug 2, 2014, at 5:13 AM, Anthony Abelardo <hidden> wrote:

Name : Anthony Abelardo
Email Address : (hidden)
Phone Number : (hidden)
Comments : The oculus rift community for the dev kit 2. The new 3D head mounted display by the oculus team.

The lenses scratch very easily. Is it possible for you to coat the lenses to be resistant? How much would it be?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4kW5dpki9eMMkN4d1c4UDdOYXc/edit = scratches
IP Address : (hidden)

if someone could give me the correct volume and geometry of the part so I can email them?
17 REPLIES 17

Alci
Honored Guest
oh, that was a joke. I thought that it was obvious that they are talking about thousands of pieces. There is no way to do it "simple". Any non-precise solution would harm optical quality. It's done by machines but set it up for specific contract costs money.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Guys, we are taking the scratched lens issue very seriously, and looking into what the problem could be now. I don't know what the solution will be yet, but we are on it. In addition, it only appears to be affecting a small handful of people compared to the thousands of kits we sent out without any complaint about the lenses. However, we will continue to investigate.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TWhite
Explorer
To be fair, we cannot hardly assume that because there aren't an equal number of posts about DK2 lens scratches, that there aren't many thousands of people suffering from the issue. There are varying degrees of "caring" I will call it, that people possess. Some people care enough to post on forums, others don't care enough at all to even notice scratches. Bottom line is, I don't think the number of posts about it are indicative of any statistic regarding this issue. It's not like for very few people's DK2's, their lenses had the default materials swapped out and replaced with a worse quality one that allows easy scratches.

Just sounds to me like budget was spent elsewhere and lenses are using cheaper material/fabrication process and it results in worse scratching than DK1 lenses.
CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780

Kingchud
Honored Guest
"TWhite" wrote:
To be fair, we cannot hardly assume that because there aren't an equal number of posts about DK2 lens scratches, that there aren't many thousands of people suffering from the issue. There are varying degrees of "caring" I will call it, that people possess. Some people care enough to post on forums, others don't care enough at all to even notice scratches. Bottom line is, I don't think the number of posts about it are indicative of any statistic regarding this issue. It's not like for very few people's DK2's, their lenses had the default materials swapped out and replaced with a worse quality one that allows easy scratches.

Just sounds to me like budget was spent elsewhere and lenses are using cheaper material/fabrication process and it results in worse scratching than DK1 lenses.

To be fair, we can hold off on the assumptions until there is an official statement about the lenses.

AntDX316
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Guys, we are taking the scratched lens issue very seriously, and looking into what the problem could be now. I don't know what the solution will be yet, but we are on it. In addition, it only appears to be affecting a small handful of people compared to the thousands of kits we sent out without any complaint about the lenses. However, we will continue to investigate.

great : )

jgmrequel
Honored Guest
I've not reported scratches on my lenses because it'd be adding noise to the issue. I'm sure that many more have the issue than are reporting it for similar reasons - its not too intrusive to usage, and has been reported ad nauseum.

Perhaps you should send a quick email survey out to those that have their SDK2 to see if they are experiencing scratches so you've got a better picture of what's happening, just in case it's limited to certain shipping batches, etc. As has been demonstrated, the Oculus community is not a quiet one.

saviornt
Protege
This would be simple tbh, create a small survey on surveymonkey.com; send out a mass auto-generated email to clients that have ordered a dk2
, and request if they have noticed any scratching on the lenses.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

rtweed
Honored Guest
"Kingchud" wrote:
"TWhite" wrote:
To be fair, we cannot hardly assume that because there aren't an equal number of posts about DK2 lens scratches, that there aren't many thousands of people suffering from the issue. There are varying degrees of "caring" I will call it...

To be fair, we can hold off on the assumptions until there is an official statement about the lenses.

Well I think the point is that Oculus has an estimate of how many units are affected and that estimate could be wrong because a relatively small number of people have officially complained. It's early days yet. I doubt OVR puts much stock in the amount of Internet chatter on the subject (often dominated by a vocal minority), so they will be mainly reliant on the number of direct complaints they've received and testing of units that they either hold themselves or have direct access to via close partners like Epic.

If the number of affected units is in fact very small then it will be much harder for OVR to correctly diagnose the problem, because they will need to find affected unit(s) for testing, but won't easily be able to tell if the "affected" units are really affected by a single recurrent problem, or if they were simply scratched by a dirty cloth. If 100% are affected then they can easily tell that e.g., the anti-scratch coating is missing (or rule that out), but opening up any random box and testing the lenses.

I fall into the "don't much care" category. I checked the other day and there appear to be some microscratches, but TBH, I couldn't really tell if they were real scratches or just an artefact, caused by the shape of the lens causing light to refract in an odd way that looks a bit like scratches. Until I get a major scratch that interferes with my vision in the Rift I will continue to not care much either way.

However, it would be nice to know that spare lenses will be made available: as free replacements where there is a manufacturing fault, or for a small fee otherwise. This to me seems a lot more important than initially diagnosing the problem. After a significant number of lenses have been sent back for replacement, they will have sufficient data to draw useful conclusions, but in the meantime it's more important that people with serious lens damage get replacements, even if those replacements are likely to develop the same problem.

Because of all the talk of this issue I'm taking extra care over them now and avoiding cleaning the lenses unless it's absolutely necessary. My current expectation is that eventually, they will get scratched, so I'm trying to delay that until a replacement programme is in place.