cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation to post something other than complaints or requests for help

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I understand that lots of people are new to VR and naturally will look to those who have experience to help with their problems, but this forum is starting to feel like the support site for people who aren't satisfied or can't be bothered with the support of Facebook (or can't use Google).

I have answered more than my fair share of questions for struggling people, but I come here all the time hoping that there will be something interesting to discuss. It might be rumors, or people talking about a game that they really like to get others to try it out, I don't know.

I'm just tired of scrolling down the first page and realizing that the only interaction I can have with other VR enthusiasts is to help them solve a problem.

Now before you say, "well start a thread then" I plan to make some posts in hopes of getting this going a bit.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

52 REPLIES 52

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I think it helps now to know that I can go over to Facebook and reddit and find more discussion oriented stuff. 

Yeah, that's pretty much the status quo going forward. Like Kojack said, users are directed to this forum specifically for Support. Any fun non-support discussion on this forum can be essentially treated as the "exception to the rule." But it is not the rule itself; at least not anymore.

Facebook is directing everyone to Facebook's social platform for all non-Support related conversation. And it works great! Even in my case, as much as I enjoy coming back to this forum, the fact is that I do it now mostly out of habit, and to talk with the regulars whom I've been acquainted with over the years. I don't really come here anymore to find out new VR news or anything similar. Because I find all that discussion already happening in large quantity in the Facebook VR Groups.

As one example, as some may recall, I hosted a few Dead & Buried Tournaments on this forum way back in 2017. The first one was great, but the 2nd one didn't have many participants. And any attempts to create a 3rd or 4th Tournament fell flat; nobody was interested.

And it wasn't just related to me either. When I stopped, nobody else tried to start anything up. People on this forum like to post about stuff, but nobody really likes to get together in VR and socialize. There are a few exceptions, like nalex and digikid, who were always willing to jump in to a VR Session with someone. But the vast majority of this community isn't really interested in social VR.

Yet look at a post in one of the main Facebook VR Groups just this week:

bkbxfiln2z43.png

And that's just one of many examples of over a year of community-based social VR activity on multiple fronts.

This forum currently serves 3 purposes, of which I hope changes when we migrate to the new platform:
  • Product Support
  • Pro-Oculus regulars checking in on the latest positive news.
  • Anti-Oculus regulars checking in on the latest negative news.

Considering the immense momentum that the Facebook groups have, I am hard-pressed to see a change in how these forums are going to be used. It seems that the only regulars who remain here consistently are the ones who are avoiding the migration over to Facebook VR. Which is perfectly fine! But that number is quite small, so we won't see a vast amount of discussion here that rivals what is taking place on Facebook currently.

Even in my case, I have way more conversation about VR over on Facebook than I do here. For me, not only does there seem to be a much larger pro-Oculus community on the Facebook VR groups, but when I'm on Facebook, I don't have to risk reading a post where someone is trying to bait me in to pointless debate for the 1000th time lol

I certainly hope to see more of you on Facebook VR, and inside VR too!  ❤️

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:

Fully agree, all the support threads are diluting threads with real substance, which is a great problem since this isn't an official Oculus support forum.

Except this IS a support forum.

Agreed, but it's a support forum with close to no support from Oculus, and due to the amount of new Quest 2 owners it does feel like the demand for support currently goes way beyond what a few dedicated volunteer supporters can manage. 

To be fair, you cropped out everything Kojack said that addresses why we see more community support than official Oculus Support. This is the part you cut out:

Go to the Oculus support page (support.oculus.com) and it says "Community Support       Visit the Oculus forums to get help from the Oculus community"

See? The situation is very simple. If people want official Oculus Support then they can simply create a Support Ticket. If they want Community Support, then they can come here.

This forum can often be used to help get Oculus Support to escalate a ticket ahead of a queue. The same thing happens on reddit and twitter.

There's no real problem here, other than we simply have some regulars who don't want to head over to Facebook and instead wish that this forum was less support and more fun-filled dialogue. But that train has left the Station. If you want to avoid Facebook and avoid all that fun quality VR discussion, then there's always reddit.

We can't just ignore the obvious fact that users are encouraged to come here for "Community Support" (not official support). And there's nothing we can do to stop all those thousands of people on Facebook having fun discussions about Ocululs VR. We can't tell them all to shaddap and come over here lol

old-timers need to be able to find some interesting info in here to come back.

Speaking as an old-timer myself, I can say that we all need to evolve with the times. If we can't evolve, then how did we end up in VR in the first place? The times change, and just as we embraced VR for changing Tech, we should embrace the change in how and where discussion takes place.

Facebook and Oculus have dictated where and how discussions take place primarily. We can choose to accept or reject it, but our choice won't change the reality of the situation.

Jeerus
Protege

Nekto2 said:

...IIt might be rumors, or people talking about a game that they really like to get others to try it out, I don't know.

Hello)
Have you seen "Battle Arena VR" ? (free, multiplayer)
Try with real people and rope jumps. Nice gaming mechanic.^)

ps. Especially with green gun 😉
pps. @Zenbane ?
pps. Could we make special tag to make search easy?   SOTC  (something other than complaints)  🙂

I've spend tons of hours in battle arena vr, it 's very fun. Reminds me of Quake sort of
|| Specs || Ryzen 5 1600 OC 4.1 GHz | NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler | NVIDIA Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 X3 | 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte B450 AORUS | 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 4 TB WD Green HDD | ACER NITRO XV272UP || Peripherals ||  Razer Blackwidow Elite | Stormtrooper Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed | Stormtrooper Edition | Logitech G Pro Wireless | HyperX Cloud II | Tonor BM-700 Microphone | Yamaha NX B150 2.1 Speakers | 

Nekto2
Superstar

Zenbane said:

There's no real problem here, other than we simply have some regulars who don't want to head over to Facebook and instead wish that this forum was less support a

We can't just ignore the obvious fact that users are encouraged
to come here for "Community Support" (not official support). And there's
nothing we can do to stop all those thousands of people on Facebook
having fun discussions about Ocululs VR. We can't tell them all to
shaddap and come over here lolnd more fun-filled dialogue. But that train has left the Station. If you want to avoid Facebook and avoid all that fun quality VR discussion, then there's always reddit.

Other thing to note is amount of posts. If you like to discuss vr news but do not want to read out thousands of posts (even quality one) you choose some small community.  This forum happens to be small community with quality discussions hiding inside lots of support discussions.
🙂
So the only thing to agree on is "how we will find each other post inside lots of support posts" :lol:
Could it be some "tag" like "SOTC" or any other way like searching for latest @Zenbane comments?
:lol:

ps. kojack what are those dev topics? Are they programing related? Could we discuss some?

Nekto2
Superstar

Jeerus said:

I've spend tons of hours in battle arena vr, it 's very fun. Reminds me of Quake sort of

Great to hear!
I think it is a new "vr style" way to play those type of games!
Just with addition of a lots of long jumping.
🙂

PITTCANNA
Visionary
What needs to occur like other forums I was involved in the past is posting limits and controls that steer users in certian ways in alleviating extraneous posts.  Meaning it would work like this:

New threads would not be allowed unless you met key  elements:
1. Introduce yourself in an introduction
2. Provide computer specs in signature line
3.Commented on 10 posts
4.15 likes or 2 accepted answers

Promotion of threads for power users - Meaning a day or two courtesy sticky post kept at the top
1.Users with higher than 500 comments
2.Users that have at least 20 accepted answers
3.Users that have more than 100 likes

Support threads are automatically grouped together by tags, and /or topics
1. There are computer algorithms
2.Moderation staff could combine

instant ban and removal for posts/threads that meet the following
1.Aggressive complaints
2.Incoherent statements
3.Threaning support

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The Games & Apps section could always be more populated with games and discussion. Then just set that as your default landing page.

Edit: Goes to Games & Apps section and sees 10 topics about Asgard's Wrath Installation issues..

😄 

Edit 2: Well IMO that's on the mods. They should move those posts to support, or merge em so it's less cluttered. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I've been hanging out over on Facebook VR forums and they just announced that they are automatically removing any posts that are just "Facebook account requirement sucks" posts. I hate censorship, but I can understand on a product related site exercising some editorial discretion, especially when it might alienate customers from coming there.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I've been hanging out over on Facebook VR forums and they just announced that they are automatically removing any posts that are just "Facebook account requirement sucks" posts. I hate censorship, but I can understand on a product related site exercising some editorial discretion, especially when it might alienate customers from coming there.

I don't really consider it censorship, as those users are 100% free to start their own group, right on Facebook. They can even title the group, "Facebook Account Requirement Sucks." And they can make the group public.

I never understood this need for people to go out of their way to do some sort of "community infiltration" based on anti-idealism. There's a time and a place for everything. People can create their own communities and have their voices heard accordingly.

But yeah, this is why I like the Facebook VR Groups for Oculus so much. The conversation is high, moreso around fun-filled activities as opposed to support requests. And the admins do a good job of booting people that are clearly their for the wrong reasons. Some folks need to learn to exercise their freedom of speech intelligently.

saami81
Rising Star
Something other than complaints or requests? Well im 40 years old now. Which is old af on internet terms. Just wondering, if there is other old people around?