cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus World - enabling Positional Timewarp

Grimdanfango
Expert Protege
I downloaded the 0.6.0.1 SDK package, and wanted to try out the positional timewarp effect I saw demoed recently.

The instructions I've seen say to first go to "Layers" and enable "Main Layer Depth", before increasing the render interval under the "Timewarp" section.

...only "Main Layer Depth" doesn't seem to exist. Has the demo had this option removed for some reason, or am I just missing it?
4 REPLIES 4

Grimdanfango
Expert Protege
Hmm, seems the Oculus World demo in the 0.6.0.0 SDK has the option, but it doesn't appear to work with the 0.6.0.1 Runtime.

Has Positional Timewarp been outright-disabled for the time being? I rather wanted to experience it (so I could go and evangelize about how great it is to the rest of the internet! :D)
Is the only way to roll-back to 0.6.0.0 for now?

cybereality
Grand Champion
I don't believe this feature was ever finished, or supposed to be in the release. It was more like an experiment that may or may not be pursued further. I can see if we have any plans for bringing it back, that I'm not sure.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Grimdanfango
Expert Protege
Well, I do hope it makes an eventual return - just from the brief recorded examples I've seen, it looks to be pretty much the holy-grail as far as maintaining a natural VR experience during lower-than-optimal framerates goes. It appeared to work surprisingly well even as low as 5fps with considerable parallax motion, and presumably would be almost imperceptible up in the 50s-60s...

I know John Carmack has been making a big deal about it for a while, and well... it sure looks like the future to me too 🙂

Regular Async Timewarp is cool too of course (in case it's feeling unappreciated :D)

opamp
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
I don't believe this feature was ever finished, or supposed to be in the release. It was more like an experiment that may or may not be pursued further. I can see if we have any plans for bringing it back, that I'm not sure.

Interestingly theres still mention of it in the pc sdk developer guide,

DepthTexture ovrSwapTextureSet Provides depth data for the EyeFovDepth layer type, and is used by positional timewarp to try to apply the correct parallax for the layer. This data is not used for occlusion or intersection with other layers.
DK2. Phenom 2 x4 4.2GHz,Asrock Extreme 3 970,8GB DDR3 1600, R9 270x 1180/1400.