cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously? Epic Bias.

jayhawk
Superstar
RoadtoVR is seriously reminding me of The Washington Post anymore

http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-sales-units-oculus-rift-comparison-compared-tim-sweeney/

More hypocrisy. Epic has been making games for platforms with exclusives and 'walled gardens' for years. Exclusives or a 'walled garden' was ok until Oculus, because.......it's Oculus I guess. 
35 REPLIES 35

danknugz
Superstar

This guy released the kraken with his article:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5myb1t/the_oculus_hate_train_is_going_strong_in_the_pc

so much over the top, passionate hate toward Oculus, it's embarrassing for the Vive community

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Oculus's failure is to model its business on Apple or Sony who make their own hardware and OS.

Apple and Sony are success models that lead a multi-billion dollar industry and maintain their own platform standards. Oculus is doing great in this regards, and we can even use you as a fine example of Oculus' success.

Let's be honest for a moment, you were not only banned for too much anti-Oculus rhetoric, but you also openly proclaimed that you would never play Oculus games with your Vive. You were against Facebook privacy issues and completely against using Revive. Now, you're unbanned, still here, you installed Oculus Home and Revive, and you buy and play Oculus games.

So if we are to consider you a model Vive user... then Oculus is winning the VR war, big time!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This guy released the kraken with his article:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5myb1t/the_oculus_hate_train_is_going_strong_in_the_pc

so much over the top, passionate hate toward Oculus, it's embarrassing for the Vive community

That over-the-top hatred towards Oculus is prevalent even on Facebook. The Vivarians have really resorted to just spammy behavior and mindless trolling in many online communities.

On Facebook, I originally joined the Virtual Reality and Oculus Rift groups. I ended up leaving the Virtual Reality group because I could never read anything meaningful without seeing instant Oculus Hate comments.

If someone would ask, "do I need a 3rd sensor for Touch?" Before anyone could give a real answer, 10 comments would instantly appear all saying, "no you just need to sell it and get a Vive. Oculus sucks."

Not that I mind such a thing, but the problem is that at no point did any intellectual nor meaningful debate take place. It was just childish bashing. And if anyone tried to navigate the debate towards factual analysis... the Vive folks would just stop posting and wait for the next victim.

The Vive community is very much full of misplaced elitism. Kids rolling around atop Tonka trucks trying to act like real construction workers. I don't imagine 2017 getting any better for them. Oculus is more sophisticated as a product and as a community leader; and the difference in its consumers makes all of that painfully apparent.

vannagirl
Consultant
i used to visit roadtovr a lot but then the comments on most articles became toxic and nasty so i deleted it off my tablet

i think you can guess who it was aimed at as users so that was that
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

elboffor
Consultant

Atmos73 said:

Zenbane said:

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

danknugz
Superstar
as a rift only user i dont really feel compelled to consider or get a vive, every now and then i get some tracking issues but nothing near the level that i would consider vive. touch changed everything however and before that i was not too impressed with oculus and the way things were going.

hopefully now that touch is out oculus continues in the right direction (in house well built games like dead & buried, c v2, and not focusing so much on greed and maximizing roi)
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

I wasn't banned for too much anti Oculus rhetoric I was banner for too much pro-Vive threads trying to prove to you that Vive was a worthy contender and deserved the awards it got in 2016. 

Well you just described it in a way that reads, "I was banned for being too nice." I don't think you were banned for trying to do the right thing lol

You use language like, "Oculus' failure..."

The word failure is a negative term, and it is one of many negative terms you used often to describe Oculus. Slightly less nice of a picture than saying you were just trying to show everyone that Vive deserves love too. And if there is one product that doesn't need defending, it is the HTC Vive. As this thread illustrates, Vive users across the Internet are not only defending their product with severe dedication, they are also bashing Oculus at every turn.

I do agree, water under the bridge, with the old debates. If we decide to have some new ones then surely they can be less ban-worthy. In this case, you just stated that Oculus is failing because you believe they "followed' the Apple and Sony model. Aside from that being purely subjective on your part, it is also innaccurate considering that Oculus' actions were able to convince you to use your Vive to play Oculus games even though you said you never would.

There is more to be said with the facts than with a subjective opinion.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

danknugz said:

as a rift only user i dont really feel compelled to consider or get a vive, every now and then i get some tracking issues but nothing near the level that i would consider vive. touch changed everything however and before that i was not too impressed with oculus and the way things were going.

Probably the second biggest community accomplishment for Oculus, aside from converting Atmos to use his Vive for Oculus software, is getting danknugz to say nice things about the Rift.

In my case, I am planning on getting a new VR kit around summer time. I would like a second one in the home for family use. Back around October I was a bit open to getting a Vive, so that I could enjoy the best of both worlds. I've done the same with consoles (Nintento, Xbox, PlayStation) as well as computer operating systems (Windows, MAC, Linux).

However, getting back on Facebook and joining the VR Community really had more of an impression on how I view the HTC Vive (and its Community) than anything prior. The level of low-intellect hate that the pro-Vive / anti-Oculus drones spew on such a daily basis really does confirm my otherwise mythological belief that the Vive HMD somehow sucks the smarts outta people.

So in the summer I will either get another Rift, or Sony's PSVR.

jayhawk
Superstar
Reading all the illogical, unreasonable, and hypocritical hatred toward Oculus makes me want a Vive even less if ever in the future. Why would I want to be part of a community like that? I guess we should feel lucky only one of them posts here.

HiThere_
Superstar
I believe the CV1 headset is superior to the HTC Vive headset, that the Touch controllers are clearly superior to the first generation HTC Vive hand controllers, and that the Oculus VR developed games are like one generation ahead of other games...

And I also believe that Tim Sweeney (creator of Unreal Engine) is just extrapolating his numbers, considering that neither Oculus VR or HTC Vive are releasing their numbers (for Gear VR it's officially over 5,000,000, but that's just a ~99$ upgrade over a smartphone, compared to CV1+Touch+GPU being a ~999$ upgrade over a PC)...

But :
- The HTC Vive made a killing by releasing it's hand controllers many months before the Touch controllers, no matter how inferior their hardware/drivers/software might be.
- The Oculus Store is definitely a "closed garden" with an almost hidden door to get out of it, that feels like it could be closed anytime Oculus VR wants to. The Oculus Store seems designed to keep CV1/Gear users in, and keep non CV1/Gear users out. Making it more of a closed mobile platform ported to the PC, then an open PC platform.

I mean before Touch was released :
- I downloaded a game preview (Gorn) that was only available from the developer's webpage.
- I included it into the Steam platform interface.
- I played it on my CV1 with my ~5 year old Razer Hydra hand controllers, that are supported by Steam (even for playing games not purchased from their platform).

On the Oculus Store :
- I heard you can't access it from an HTC Vive (need a hack, which Oculus VR tried to block once).
- There is no option to add an application from outside the Oculus Store (need to trick it).
- There is no support for Razer Hydra controllers (which DK2 users would greatly welcome, since they have no Touch compatibility either).
- It's almost a fully fledged smartphone/console like walled garden, even if you only notice it after running into it's invisible Guardian walls.

So Tim Sweeney isn't being biased when he points that out, regardless of how well that works out for the Rift in the long run (specially after the Touch delay probably cost Oculus VR the initial leading PC position, and probably over half their potential CV1 2016 sales).

To be honest I'm worried about both the HTC Vive and the CV1 : I think my own preferred next VR headset would be a self sufficient Gear like VR headset that can also plug into or connect wirelessly to a PC (if only through a half hidden menu option).

PS : Also compared to the Gear VR's casual pricing the CV1's 600$ is out of whack, for a VR headset which is meant to be powered by the CPU/GPU of an external PC.