cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously? Epic Bias.

jayhawk
Superstar
RoadtoVR is seriously reminding me of The Washington Post anymore

http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-sales-units-oculus-rift-comparison-compared-tim-sweeney/

More hypocrisy. Epic has been making games for platforms with exclusives and 'walled gardens' for years. Exclusives or a 'walled garden' was ok until Oculus, because.......it's Oculus I guess. 
35 REPLIES 35

kevink808
Superstar

Zenbane said:

kevink808 said:

That's rebuttal was full of non-sequiturs.  Please be more specific.

I support your stop-drop-and-roll technique.

Perhaps the extra 2 characters were confusing.  I edited.  Please explain further. 
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

2 extra characters that will suffice.

kevink808
Superstar
Is that a pancake and a Jimmy Dean sausage?
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Percy1983
Superstar

Atmos73 said:

If Oculus wanted Vive owners on the OH store why don't they make a wrapper like Steam has?

If Oculus say Valve won't give them permission for the Vive wrapper then why don't Oculus just retract their permission for the Rift wrapper on Steam?

What advantage does Oculus have letting Rift users on Steam?

Why does it take a third party hack like Revive to give Vive users access to Oculus software?

Why did Oculus try to unhack ReVive if they are in favour of allowing Vive users on OH and at the time install even more DRM?

The facts have always been the same since day one. Oculus need exclusives to draw people to OH because it can't compete with a globally established online retail store like Steam. It can't support Vive because more people 'might' buy the Vive HMD over the Rift HMD and then Oculus would slowly lose market share.

Steam doesn't care about different VR HMD's coming to their store as long as they are buying software.

Sweeney is a smart guy he took Oculus's money to make a better game but now he wants that game to reach the whole VR community and not what he see's as 33% (arguable) of the market. Right or wrongly...

I actually think Epic shouldn't have taken Oculus's money. Oculus should make their own games for their own store.

Oculus's failure is to model its business on Apple or Sony who make their own hardware and OS. Oculus is reliant on PC hardware and Windows OS which is directly used by the competition and easily hacked. Apple and Sony have a wall of protection through propriety hardware/software while Oculus has none.

There was a little post I made before Christmas and it passed most people by and that is Oculus and Valve are working together in the newly formed Chronos group so this whole argument could be mute pretty fast.

Have a read if you haven't already.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/45900/khronos-announces-vr-standards-initiative#lates...

December 6th 2016 – SIGGRAPH Asia - Macau – The Khronos™Group,
an open consortium of leading hardware and software companies, today
announced a call for participation in a new initiative to define a
cross-vendor, royalty-free, open standard for access to modern virtual
reality (VR) devices.

This is Supported by Oculus and Valve.

Its going to be an interesting 2017.

You missed the missing part of the story, can we agree the Oculus SDK is better?

So form there Oculus want to give the Vive native support in the Oculus SDK so you always get the best experience using the Oculus store.

This is a big problem for Valve because if games actually run better form the Oculus store on the Vive they would lose many sales to the Oculus store, so quite simple don't play ball.

So then why would Valve make a wrapper for Oculus, because they want to further the games monopoly well into VR.

When you remember they are both just businesses trying to make money and neither actually care about you its much easier to see.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

PiMaxVR_com
Explorer

You can have a Pimax with bad Software and almost no content. Screw it! Yes, even the Vive has not that much good content.

We are happy to announce we are partnering with Valve and will have Fallout 4 VR and other Steam VR titles for use with our HMD.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can have a Pimax with bad Software and almost no content. Screw it! Yes, even the Vive has not that much good content.

We are happy to announce we are partnering with Valve and will have Fallout 4 VR and other Steam VR titles for use with our HMD.

Classy.