cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe GPU shortages may last at least until 2022

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2_0-1614510411836.jpeg

This is quite sad information, but the gpu shortage is severe and may last for at least 1 year - more info here:

" [...] AIBs like Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, and others are currently receiving fewer than 20 units of Nvidia RTX 3080 graphics cards per country in the South Asian region, with China being the only exception with around 100 units this month."

Source: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/global-chip-shortage-to-last-till-2022-nvidia-and-amd-gpu-stock-affec...

More info; https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/gpu-stock-shortage-to-continue

The take-home-message seems to be: do not sell your current gpu before the new one is in your hands 😉 

1606833745_maxresdefault.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whew glad I got in the que early for my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra.

This is nuts!

Read that one dude just got his 3080 through the EVGA website, he had been waiting since September 19. I joined the 3090 list late November, sigh... 

Maybe some divine powers want me to wait for PSVR2, Quest 3 or RTX 4080, lol

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Wow...I'm glad I decided to also get my EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra when I did... my reasoning at the time was anticipating this very thing!!!

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

I personally am in no hurry to move from my GTX1080 and my i7 as they both work perfectly no matter what i throw at them, plus Star Trek online has dragged me back in so everything including VR has went on the back burner..........bloody star Trek got me young and kept me, worse than a religion. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Checking out Steam last night, Compound is the second highest rated game - only Alyx is higher. Now Compound looks like a game from ... 1996? 😱 And $25 (€20) for a game that looks worse than Duke Nukem 3D in DOS... 

But I finally did it - payed one buck per 10MB (not GB) - and I'm glad I did. 

See, a GTX 1080 cuts through Compound like a red hot sword cuts butter - the game was set to 3 x normal res by default, and I then added res 200% - still perfect 90 fps using highest settings. Some say 144 Hz won't be a problem too - I'll test that later. 

And the game is simply fun - colors so vivid the game may be used to treat depression, lol. Index has full finger tracking - and full locomotion, it's no coincidence this game is rated so high. 

Also Naau: The Lost Eye work perfectly using Index res 200% - and so does Boneworks, and many more high-ranking games (like Room VR). Alyx plays perfectly too (in 90 hz)

Of course we can survive with GTX 1080s for quite some time - and many games like the above will not improve much if at all with a faster gpu. 

Problem might be that devs can't advance and make more demanding games for gpus that no one owns. 

Right now I can get a PS5 quite easily - for $1k, but I do not care about paying like $300-500 more, it's nothing compared to RTX 3090 prices. It will be interesting how PSVR2 works, if Nvidia and AMD can't deliver I may consider PSVR2 and interesting option. 

Also, now Oculus is only updating the Rift Store once a week, all recent great PCVR titles seem primarily to arrive on Steam (Naau and A Wake Inn just during the last week) - also the amount of VR content arriving on Steam currently far exceeds new monthly Rift content (although Steam quality may be lower - too much garbage is being released). Still you do get the idea that Oculus isn't focusing on PCVR at all right now - thus there's really no specific upcoming game or app where I think I really need that RTX 3090. So it's a luxury upgrade, I do not need a RTX 3090. 2c. 

Fiddlesticks!  😠

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Evileyes
Rising Star

Glad I snagged the 3090 too, just sold my 2080 ti on offer up for $1250, very happy with that return! 😄

i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I wish I had queued for the FTW RTX 3080. They’re at least shipping a few of those. I wanted EVGA’s XC3 version, and that queue hasn’t moved at all in the last several weeks. Oh well, whatever. My GTX 1080 is managing well enough, even if I can’t push the resolution as high as I’d like. I’m actually playing a lot more Quest native stuff than PCVR right now anyway. Cyberpunk was the one game I really wanted RTX for, and that turned out to be a hot mess, so it can wait until some day in the future when RTX cards are readily available again.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

falken76
Expert Consultant

I thought this was going to be the case.  When I asked if this is something to be concerned about I was laughed at, said "The worst would be having to wait a few months"  I signed up for a 3080 the second EVGA made those waiting lists available.  That was sometime back in September, here it is 6 months later and I never got an Email for the 3080.  I should have bought a 2080ti from those idiots that sold them for pennies on the dollar thinking they'd get a new card right away.  I also signed up for the 3070. I ended up buying a 2080 super because I got sick of waiting so long to replace this 1070.  I figured by the time 3080s are actually obtainable, I will have gotten my $600 worth out of this 2080 super.  I've had the card for exactly 1 month, when I check on it now, the same card is going for $900 to $1,000!  After I installed it, I got an email from EVGA for a 3070, but at that point I didn't want to spend another $700 AND have to buy a new PSU just to run it, so I didn't get it.

No developer is going to be making features for their games with these cards in mind unless it's either an after thought, or a marketing ploy.  Their target audience can't even obtain the cards, some can, but not enough to justify catering too.  It has been a bad time to buy a GPU for over a decade now, it looks like it'll continue to be just like that for another decade.