cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR sli has anyone read this

XlordB
Adventurer
Will oculus and future game developers be incorporating this or are we all doomed to single gpu vr forever?
https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/vrsli

29 REPLIES 29

XlordB
Adventurer

Some vr games do support sli so leaving it turned on will allow them to use sli

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Thank you, that's a great help. So, daft question, what's the other card for?

For most VR games, the other card does nothing at all. We may see games using Nvidia's VRWorks API at some point--if so, those games will take advantage of SLI, along with any 2D games you play which might benefit from it.

Really though, 2xGTX1080Ti is pretty overkill. That's a fair bit of money spent on a second card that, for the most part, will be giving you no benefit most of the time.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Porthgwidden
Protege
I fear you're right. Still learning. Thank you.

kevink808
Superstar

So the performance is there if developers spend the time to properly optimize. It just seems most don't have the interest, or feel the market is too small to be worth the effort.

Can't say I blame them.  No way am I spending another $700 for a second graphics card.  I love VR and all, but that's when it starts to encroach on my other expensive interests and hobbies.  The engineers would probably enjoy the challenge, but the execs have a business to maintain.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

XlordB
Adventurer

kevink808 said:

So the performance is there if developers spend the time to properly optimize. It just seems most don't have the interest, or feel the market is too small to be worth the effort.

Can't say I blame them.  No way am I spending another $700 for a second graphics card.  I love VR and all, but that's when it starts to encroach on my other expensive interests and hobbies.  The engineers would probably enjoy the challenge, but the execs have a business to maintain.

you are missing the point. Currently vr is averagely good on the minimim spec.. however adding one cheaper gpu to your system could give you premium vr if devs added the sli coding. taking this into consideration there is a lot of gamers with good spec sli setups but would be considered low spec in vr.. if sli was utilized in vr these gamers would be able to invest in vr without having to bust a nut on a 1080 gtx. A game that supports sli would create much interest in the gamer community, Only current vr users who have an already great setup qith their 1080 etc could possibly moan about this.. Vr sli is win win for everyone bringing sli users into vr aswell as boosting those of us who already have sli setups on vr.

Sleepyhead007
Honored Guest
I buy a dual high-end card every 4-6 years. Now I've got my to 980's. And I will skip the 10xxseries to buy the next nvidea dual setup. I think a dual card setup just looks better in a case o:) I do think that sli support for those high-end rigs should've been there already. We pay premium buck but we don't get premium support.....

nangu
Expert Protege
My last three builds were minded for SLI, and never bought the second card because little support from game devs, so I always ended buying a single last model new card instead the card to match for SLI.

I hope this time devs make an effort because VR will be a lot more benefical from SLI. If well implemented, we can get better resolution in HMDs before planned because the horsepower will be there by using proper SLI, and in my own and a lot of people's cases it will be a lot cheaper too. When next gen VR HMDs hit consumers, it would be cheapier to add a second GTX 1070 in example, than buy a brand new GTX 2080Ti, and still enjoy high res VR.

Surely it would'nt be good for nVidia/AMD execs and sales, so I think we never will see proper SLI 😞

shiari
Heroic Explorer
Support for SLI and CF is waning as it is, fewer and fewer games support it well. The only way I see that it would possibly regain popularity if 4K VR displays became a thing and single GPU power was simply no longer adequate to drive that resolution well. But since performance of both displays and GPU's are improving over time, and implementing multi GPU is always going to be difficult, I don't think multi GPU setups are all that viable anymore.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

There's two problems:
- 99% of vr devs just use Unreal or Unity. It's up to Epic or Unity to implement sli/crossfire support.
- For anyone actually adding support to an engine, they have to implement 3 different systems: vrworks, liquid vr and normal. That's a lot of extra effort that could have been spent on optimising to run well on a single gpu.

But if you are seeing a massive 50% gain in a title - wouldn't you want your game engine to support it in the first place? That's free performance increase over anything 50% +. To me - it just feels like more or less no one really understands how it works. I mean yea sure - you want to make sure the game runs well - but at max you can only - what - pull another 10-15% out of a game if the game was design right in the first place? That takes how much time to really do right?

To be honest - Oculus should be putting pressure on game engines to support multi GPU and DX12 games. They can call them Spot Light Games that will show up first on the top of the list of games. This means devs will get a free benefit of being seen more by the public if they do put more work into supporting such features in the first place.

Not even this - but feature technology as we continue. Like supporting touch, eye tracking, better lighting, multi gpu, etc etc. Sure not all devs will do all these things - but if you can reward for doing so - then that will push more devs to do just that one more spec in the process to make it so.

If I knew newer titles might support such a feature - I would most likely buy another Fury X card for that alone.

Going off that - it doesn't even seem like you really need a dev to do anything really. Just tell the render to shift the same work over to the other GPU for the left or right eye and display the results. Looks like any game engine could have this feature enabled from the start with little to no worries from the dev side of things from a render point of view. Should work with both AMD and Nvidia right off. Force devs and customers to request the feature be built into a game engine and have it turn on by default for VR - by rewarding with stars or some other value and boom features/support will come out like crazy.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Mradr said:

kojack said:

There's two problems:
- 99% of vr devs just use Unreal or Unity. It's up to Epic or Unity to implement sli/crossfire support.
- For anyone actually adding support to an engine, they have to implement 3 different systems: vrworks, liquid vr and normal. That's a lot of extra effort that could have been spent on optimising to run well on a single gpu.

But if you are seeing a massive 50% gain in a title - wouldn't you want your game engine to support it in the first place? That's free performance increase over anything 50% +. To me - it just feels like more or less no one really understands how it works. I mean yea sure - you want to make sure the game runs well - but at max you can only - what - pull another 10-15% out of a game if the game was design right in the first place? That takes how much time to really do right?

To be honest - Oculus should be putting pressure on game engines to support multi GPU and DX12 games. They can call them Spot Light Games that will show up first on the top of the list of games. This means devs will get a free benefit of being seen more by the public if they do put more work into supporting such features in the first place.

Not even this - but feature technology as we continue. Like supporting touch, eye tracking, better lighting, multi gpu, etc etc. Sure not all devs will do all these things - but if you can reward for doing so - then that will push more devs to do just that one more spec in the process to make it so.

If I knew newer titles might support such a feature - I would most likely buy another Fury X card for that alone.

Going off that - it doesn't even seem like you really need a dev to do anything really. Just tell the render to shift the same work over to the other GPU for the left or right eye and display the results. Looks like any game engine could have this feature enabled from the start with little to no worries from the dev side of things from a render point of view. Should work with both AMD and Nvidia right off. Force devs and customers to request the feature be built into a game engine and have it turn on by default for VR - by rewarding with stars or some other value and boom features/support will come out like crazy.

Why doesn't Oculus help EPIC implement this? A graphics card that can put out 8K in modern games is a long way away, but we have cards that can do 4k. If we can have two cards each rendering 4K that would be exactly what we need for super clear VR. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2