cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve confirms Stand-Alone VR future

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Gabel Newell confirmed what many have speculated on over recent months: The fact that Valve will be moving towards Stand-Alone VR.

“One of the things [Deck] represents is battery-capable, high-performance horsepower that eventually you could use in VR applications as well. You can take the PC and build something that is much more transportable. We’re not really there yet, but this is a stepping stone.”

This seems to echo comments made by Valve product designer Greg Coomer back in August. When asked directly by The Verge whether Steam Deck’s chip could be used in a standalone VR headset, Coomer said it would “run well in that environment” and “it’s very relevant to us and our future plans”.

https://uploadvr.com/valve-steam-deck-stepping-stone-standalone-vr/

Personally, I am very excited to see Valve moving away from the archaic tethered VR approach. As millions of Quest 2 users have understood first-hand, once you go tetherless VR, it is very difficult to go back to a wired VR experience. The cables simply break immersion moreso than any other feature (e.g. Graphic Quality, Integrated Sound).

When it comes to VR for Gaming specifically, Valve has a great niche, and I can't wait to see what they release next. The more competition we see in this space, the better products (both hardware and software) the consumers will get to enjoy.

😁

10 REPLIES 10

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

I bought my Quest 2 knowing I was mainly going to use it for PCVR. For me, the fact that it is also a standalone unit is a bonus. Cross-buy is a bonus and cross-play is one as well! It's all good!  Even as a standalone unit, the Quest 2 is 1/3 of the Index price. I have hours played on an Index and to me when compared, bang-for-the-buck, the Quest 2 wins by far!

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.