cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

didnt pay any attention to E3, was VR mentioned at all?

danknugz
Superstar
topic
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
18 REPLIES 18

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

After Spencer stated that the next Xbox was already in R&D and could be here for 2020 i would now put my money on MS waiting until the next xbox is launched before they bring a VR headset out, i mean why bring one out now when you already have better hardware on the horizion, and a xbox VR headset could be a killer peripheral for the next xbox, a system seller. 😉

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Honestly, the way that Microsoft have continued to fuck up hardware over the years (Kinect, HoloLens) I wouldn't hold your breath about their VR headset being any good when they do eventually release one. It'll have fake on-stage demonstrations the same way that both Kinect and HoloLens did and turn out to have some sort of massive flaw that stops it from being any good.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The Windows Mixed Reality headsets have already been released. I wouldn't buy one myself, but they have decent reviews on YouTube; and people use them on SteamVR successfully.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

Honestly, the way that Microsoft have continued to fuck up hardware over the years (Kinect, HoloLens) I wouldn't hold your breath about their VR headset being any good when they do eventually release one. It'll have fake on-stage demonstrations the same way that both Kinect and HoloLens did and turn out to have some sort of massive flaw that stops it from being any good.

Actually Kinect V2 worked really well indeed, i still use mine to this day, and works almost flawlessly, Sports rival is a hell of a fun game, BUT, unfortunately thr Xbox division under Mattrick made a complete mess of selling it to the consumer, and then in the next breath telling consumers they would require a always online to play every and all games as a mandatory feature, because....and then they continued to dig that hole. lol

But i would love a xbox VR headset, i have been blown away by the PSVR so i know VR can be done on the consoles of today, so tomorrows consoles should have no issues with VR. 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Kinect could have been fab... Shame it's dead. Tell me that isn't fecking cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AnFISP7k4

And if nothing else @zenbane will appreciate the music
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Yeah i remember that back in the day, was a cool thing to do with the kinect on the PC at the time.

Anonymous
Not applicable
There were two problems with Kinect that 2.0 failed to solve - the lag and the lack of motion controllers. That first one is the main reason why developers didn't support it in their games, it was beyond impractical.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Our industry still uses a lot of Kinects (though through their license agent), a number of the latest Projection Mapping machines use Kinects in their design - and I think this new AR shooting game uses them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEK3MHJrveQ
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Kinect 2 lag does mean it is no good for vr body tracking (shame because if it worked how good it would be!) But it is good enough for many other types of body tracking just not vr.
I keep meaning to pick one up.... Hell if for no other reason than for 1 day I will build a digital pinball table like the one above to partner my arcade cab
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂