cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new gearvr user, distractions...present in rift as well?

joejoeo
Honored Guest
hey just got a gearvr with my phone and am vr nut now 🙂 But as soon as i used it, a few things i notice immideatly that distracted me from the virtual world. Wondering if i get a rift how these things are in comparison and if there are still quite noticeable. So anyone that has tried and compared both love to hear from you.

1. narrow FOV-   this is the first thing i notice, mostly on the sides the bars, feels like im wearing a scuba mask

2. narrow Sweet spot -This was probably the most annoying, made it quite difficult for me to use because to stay in focus u need to be staring straight ahead and not moving eyes, this is not natural. Made it impossible to say use while laying down. And just very annoying need to always move head around and focus on staying in focus.

3. SDE - Not sure if this much better in rift since its even lower resolution, so thinking maybe need to wait for 4k to be solved?

Thats pretty much it, these are the things that i found distracting, and if all three were fully solved i think vr would be another level, full total immersion. I know i will have better graphics power and motion control with rift as well, but really need to know how these 3 things compare in both systems.

6 REPLIES 6

FOV - slightly better in the Rift but that will take time - Rift CV2 will hopefully improve things and over time of course it will improve on all devices.  You get used to ignoring it, depends what app you're using.

SDE - i just don't notice it.  What phone are you using?  I thought it was great on the Gear VR but i was using an S6 which, along with the S7 has the best PPI.  Rift is slightly better.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

joejoeo
Honored Guest

FOV - slightly better in the Rift but that will take time - Rift CV2 will hopefully improve things and over time of course it will improve on all devices.  You get used to ignoring it, depends what app you're using.

SDE - i just don't notice it.  What phone are you using?  I thought it was great on the Gear VR but i was using an S6 which, along with the S7 has the best PPI.  Rift is slightly better.

thanks andy, 
im using s7. FOV  yes after the headset being on for a bit it does seem to not become so noticable so that not so much issue. SDE im noticing quite alot on videos, graphic stuff not really unless i look for it so that also not big deal.
But for sureee the most annoying thing about this is keeping it in focus. Constintly seeing blurs as i move my head and esp eyes around. Becoming a chore to keep picture in focus and stare at center of lens. How is this in rift in comparison?

also another thing didnt mention and is becoming very apparent and annoying now is i cant reorient the main screen however i want. For example if im in oculus home and i want to use while lying down, i cant because then im staring at the ceiling. no option to adjust for this so the center of the screens is in the direction ur head is in. Is this issue also present in rift?

thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Gear VR S7 and a Rift,

1 FOV. The FOV is better on the rift but not by much, all HMD tend to be around the same FOV at the moment.

2 Sweet Spot. I think this is the biggest improvement going from Gear VR -> Rift, the sweet spot is so much bigger.

3 SDE. I can't even notice the SDE on my Rift but others do, again a nice improvement but not perfect.

To answer another one of your questions, you can recentre the view in your rift from oculus home, although you need to remember the camera needs to see be able to see the Rift, so if you are lying on the floor and the camera is pointing down at you you might be alright.

joejoeo
Honored Guest

FrozenPea said:

I have a Gear VR S7 and a Rift,

1 FOV. The FOV is better on the rift but not by much, all HMD tend to be around the same FOV at the moment.

2 Sweet Spot. I think this is the biggest improvement going from Gear VR -> Rift, the sweet spot is so much bigger.

3 SDE. I can't even notice the SDE on my Rift but others do, again a nice improvement but not perfect.

To answer another one of your questions, you can recentre the view in your rift from oculus home, although you need to remember the camera needs to see be able to see the Rift, so if you are lying on the floor and the camera is pointing down at you you might be alright.

this is great to hear 🙂 
as sweet spot and not being able to recentre lying down are the biggest problems for me, and also better sde, i think will be selling my gear and buying a rift as soon as i scrape up enough cash. I was thinking to maybe wait for cv2 for them to iron out these kinks but since u say much is improved in these areas and not sure im patient enough to wait 2-3 years , think will pull the trigger
cheers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
@joejoeo I would advise you to go try it in a store, you can try it in Bestbuy in the US or Europe in November just so you know what your getting 🙂

joejoeo
Honored Guest

FrozenPea said:

@joejoeo I would advise you to go try it in a store, you can try it in Bestbuy in the US or Europe in November just so you know what your getting 🙂

im not in the US, but i could buy in ebay for around $700 or wait till november, which around when touch should release. Hard decision wonder if will be cheaper when that cv1 touch bundle releases over than buying say now for current price, and touch later. Im guessing will need a second camera as well as ive heard touch will use 2. Also not sure might need to buy that extra camera as well. Ahh wish they would release some info on touch already..