cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v46 frame drops/stutters/headroom dips

NumbrOneDad
Protege

Edit: For anyone stopping by looking for a solution, there isn't going to be one. This issue is falling on deaf ears by meta staff. The issues described exist both in standalone and pcvr link/airlink. It seems to be widespread, possibly most or all quest 2 devices, yet it's been relayed that it's only a small subset of users experiencing the issue... sure. That's definitely why we can totally troubleshoot and fix it /s

The only remedy is going to be through an update issued by meta. I/You/We have done all the troubleshooting and bug hunting possible, all signs point to them. Good luck everyone!

Frame drops, reprojection (even with ASW set to Off), stuttering, performance degradation, and gpu headroom dipping to 0 or even negative has been since v44, and now v46 as well. I have come across this issue in many different posts here in the meta forums, elsewhere as well, and no one has come to any conclusions other than this HAS to be an issue with oculus software itself. Witnessing OVR errors and socket errors amongst others in the console logs and no previous fix is capable of providing any remedy to the current issue. I have tried all previous working drivers from nvidia, uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling old to new. No change. HAGS set to off, clean installed oculus based off of official support techniques (safe mode and manual folder deletion), toggled and focused console window, set high priority on ovrserverx64 and game running, disabled link sharpening, disabled mobile ASW, reset all graphic settings to default, set vsync to off in nvidia control panel, reset nvidia control panel, nothing. These issues stem directly from the oculus software and there's no chance of user error. For those hoping to chime in about windows update breaking the software, that is also untrue. I have now tried windows 10 on updates 20h1, 20h2, 21h1, 21h2, and 22h2 and this issue is present across all of them. I also tried on windows 11 builds 21h2 and 22h2 and the same issue persists. We desperately need a community update from @Ryanality as i know im not the first to raise this issue. I wish i could say it was just user error, machine setup etc. There are multiple internal errors displayed in the console window and i've submitted these logs with the support team as have the others experiencing this issue. It would be great if we could PLEASE get a public update regarding this issue. I have been troubleshooting this for several weeks straight.. i'm going absolutely mad. PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basic troubleshooting, clean installs, NONE OF IT WORKS! 2 years of using this headset and software...and this is the worst its been by far! 😧

268 REPLIES 268

It's not. I've already did that last week. Also tested with clean installs. There was an iteration where I've tested with Windows 10 and I've only installed drivers, oculus software and beat saber (this was the time when I realized I don't even need to install a game because the issue is present even in the dash).

I think it happens at everyone, just not everybody notice it. Also most of the Quest 2 users doesn't use it for PCVR and there is nothing wrong in standalone mode.

HomidWay
Expert Protege

Guys, problem might be Windows, or we had different issues. I was on Windows 11 build 22000, now it's 22621. For me upgrading/reinstaling did fix issue, at least before i installed all software i used to be running but if problem will be back, at least i could try to find what causing it.

As I mentioned, I tried 3 different windows versions, in one case I have installed anything else than drivers, oculus software and beat saber, and the issue is still present, so it's not caused by windows.

There is some bug in the oculus software, either on PC side or on the headset itself.

Unfortunately I can't try the latest PTC version on the headset because I can't join.

Please keep us apprised. Its happened to me as well with airlink issues after recent updates. Ive tried and exhausted every option given by support, Ive tried the forums (both reddit and Meta), changing settings, reinstalling/repairing oculus software, etc. Nothing made a difference. And yes, encoding and dynamic bitrate are at 0. Its clearly a software issue related to one of the recent updates. Lots of dropped frames and lag when moving while using link/airlink. Wasnt like that before. Quest home and native apps are unaffected. Its also impacting more than just "some people" form the amount of forum posts on the topic here and on reddit. On the flipside, virtual desktop continues to play pcvr with no issues!

VD is unaffected, but it has a little bit lag at me, but it can be because of W11. For simracing I can only use air link or link, VD runs through steamvr which adds a huge overhead.

Also the tracking is better on air link for Beat Saber E+ (when it works of course, now it's a mess due to frame drops).

bronney
Explorer

Just adding to the thread as I am sure many of you are on quest 2, but the rift s that I have also suffers. As everyone, it was buttery smooth in v44, v46 is bad, I checked beta v47 also bad.

PC: 12600K, 3080, 32GB ddr4, game and os on ssd.

Drops a lot in elite dangerous when it needed to load in terrain. However it drops in Eleven ping pong also with a static playground ;). If there's a place I can dump the logs to help Meta find common denominator, please link it. Happy to provide. Things I tried the past 3 weeks:

default bios, updated bios
all usb 3.0 3.1 3.2 ports
unplug all non critical usbs including the midi interface, UPS, mic with only kbm
move cellphone away as the IR shines into the sensors
disable all RGB including gigabytes, icue and synapse
quit afterburner
default clock, oc clock, under clock, and all combo
tried all display ports for rift s, switch monitors priority
unplug second monitor
plug pc PSU to a non battery UPS socket
plug directly to wall
single trunk PCIe to card
double trunk to card
yes XMP, no XMP
yes IGP, no IGP
yes onboard audio, no onboard audio
directx reinstall
new batteries oculus touch
1 touch, 2 touch, both touch visible by hmd, invisible
turn on room lights, off room light, no desk light yesdesk light, both lights
ODT, yes no adaptive GPU, yes no SS 0 to 1.2, restart OVR service to confirm setting sticks
beta oculus software, release oculus software
task manager priority from normal to high on ovr server 64 and ED, and launcher
task manager affinity to exclude e cores, and both combos with above
yes powertoys, no powertoys
disable soundblaster enhancement
all win10 gamebar related is off
all win10 telemetry is off
all windows updated
newest nvidia DCH driver
rebar on off
uninstall reinstall oculus from fresh
oculus virtual audio all combos
ED minilauncher on off
Using usb A to C 3.0 adapter

Spookydimmys
Honored Guest

Just adding another voice to the mix. Thought my controller tracking was busted. Went down the rabbit hole and noticed the exact same encoder dips through the debug. Tried all solutions as done above. RTX 2080 Super, Ryzen 7 3700x, Wifi 6 Router, Windows 10.

It's such a shame this is happening at the moment. Previous updates were perfect and now aiming in any FPS is a total nightmare. Hope they get it sorted asap

Yes, this is causing the weird tracking. At the first day after the update, I thought something is wrong with me, I was so **bleep** in Beat Saber that I became angry. And the next day too, so I checked the tracking and link details and yeah, encoder issues causing it.

NumbrOneDad
Protege

I bought an index a few days ago. I can't rely on the meta team for fixes any longer, and tbh this has been a long time coming. They've broken link update after update, so I definitely thought this issue was only present in pcvr. After more testing, I realized that these issues are present in standalone mode as well.

I can't go on with forced updates and no option to rollback, it's insane to me that they think this is a sensible way to operate their platform. Locking off previous updates just because you need to add post-release content is no excuse for creating a sh*t experience for your paying customers. Rushed updates are too frequent in todays world, but this is taking it to a whole new level because it literally becomes unplayable. How hard is it to withhold an update until someone has f*cking tested it????
I believed in the oculus ecosystem, but they make 0 effort to put the consumer's experience first. This is a big L for us all. I really REALLY had high hopes for the quest 3, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to ride this bandwagon again after the endless bs. Maybe if this was the first update to f*** up the headset/experience i wouldn't be so harsh, but this has happened on more than one occasion and they still haven't learned what it does to the consumer. Worse yet, they fail to take accountability and often write things off as if they aren't affecting the entirety of the consumer base. Classics such as "this is only happening with a small group of users" make me laugh every time. After such exhausting troubleshooting and bug hunting, you'd think they would value our findings a bit more instead of brushing it off as a small subset of users having an abnormal issue.

I preordered the 64gb quest 2 about a month or two before it came out, and I have used it just about every single day since. It's been a good ride overall, but the inconsistency, unreliability, and anti-consumer behaviors have left me with a hunger in my belly and a bad taste in my mouth. Such a promising ecosystem ruined by terrible update support and a total unwillingness to accept that its their update that broke the functionality of their product. All of that sits sour with me.
Happily keeping my Quest 2, as I've invested a lot of money and time into it... but from here on out I will primarily be using the index. I'm sure I'll be able to dust it off every now and then when they finally release a single update that functions properly. Until then, what an absolute shame.

To all of you who can't get a different headset, I genuinely wish you the best of luck with continuing on with this ecosystem. I wholeheartedly hope that they can turn this around. I will happily return once they offer more consumer friendly practices in regards to functionality and updates.

I wish we would have alternatives to wireless PCVR (Pico is not better either). Although next year I have plans to make up space in the room where I play, and it's possible that I ditch my Q2 and look for a tethered headset instead.

On the other hand, maybe HTC's headset will be good, which releases next year (with both DP and wireless capability) and I will ditch the Quest 2. It looks like this issue won't be fix.

I have zero idea why this thread is marked as solved, because nothing happened. There is no response from any managers if the issue is investigated or not or what's going on. Standalone is not stuttering for me, but I won't rebuy Beat Saber with the DLCs to play, and I don't care that PCVR is not too important for meta, I use it, it was advertised and not working.