cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Mode does not work

swinginbird
Honored Guest
Hello there,

I'm currently testing the possibilities of integrating the OculusRift (DK1) into some of my projects. My problem right now is not being able to activate the direct to Rift mode within Unity3D. And I'm _not_ talking about the built-in Unity Player, I don't get it running with a standalone app, too. I was looking for the OVRManager script, which is attatched to the OVRCameraRig GameObject in Tuscany demo and then was wondering why there is no such "Mirror to Display" option as stated in the OculusUnityIntegrationGuide (besides that there are some other options missing - see attatched screencapture).

I tried it using both version 0.4.4 and 0.4.3.1. Am I missing something? Of course, I installed the Rift driver package and set the Display Mode to "Direct HMD Access from Apps". By the way, when switching to "Extended Desktop to the HMD", my Rift gets detected as an additional screen in Windows and I can extend my desktop and drag the app to the Rift's view and manually fullscreen it as well as duplicate the primary screen. Both works for me but is annoying instead of having a nice direct to Rift solution.

Any help is much appreciated. Please don't hesitate to ask me any further question if I left something unclear.

Thanks in advance.

Here you can see the missing "Mirror to Display" option
http://pl.vc/3ksx2
6 REPLIES 6

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm not sure that Direct mode is even supposed to work with DK1.

I haven't tried it, but Extended Mode with DirectToRift.exe might be your best bet.

swinginbird
Honored Guest
Thanks for your reply, even though I figured it out by myself, coincidentally 🙂 And yes, direct Mode works like a charm with DK1, only thing to do is to run appname_DirectToRift.exe instead of appname.exe (which appears to be default (at least for me) when hitting "build and run" in Unity3D) in the project's main folder.

I then found out, that it even was mentioned in the OculusUnityIntegrationGuide (section 'known issues')... How could I've missed that?

skzloy
Honored Guest
But what happened with the missing "Mirror to Display" option in the OVRManager script from unity integration package? How can I disable "Mirror to Display" in version 0.4.4?

budwheizzah
Explorer
"skzloy" wrote:
But what happened with the missing "Mirror to Display" option in the OVRManager script from unity integration package? How can I disable "Mirror to Display" in version 0.4.4?

BUMP
Can someone answer?!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Check out:

OVRManager.display.mirrorMode

and:

HmdCaps.NoMirrorToWindow

molton
Explorer
Doesn't the direct-to-rift exe on a DK1 just basically do what the DK1 always did? Is your display duplicated in Windows setup or Extended? If its set to duplicate you can't disable mirroring because windows is mirroring the same display to your monitor and the Rift.

This is an extended setup

is your system setup like that with the DK1 or is is set to "Duplicate these displays" I was under the impression that the DK1 only worked right in Duplicate mode but last time I checked was a while ago.