cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handtracking and Unity UI

Theformand
Protege
Hey everyone.

Since we dont have hand tracking in-editor via Link (Guys please tell me this is coming, dont see how handtracking development will take off without it), I´m working on a small tool app to record and serialize hand poses for pose recognition in a game.
So, I would really like to have a way to interact with Unity UI. Raycast and click, thats all I need. I tried making my own HandTrackingRaycaster to use with a Canvas, but it doesnt seem to be working. Is there really not a built-in component for this?

13 REPLIES 13

Theformand
Protege
Figured it out. On startup, find the OvrInputModule and set its rayTransform to OvrHand.PointerPose. Also find OvrRaycaster and set its .pointer to be OvrHand.PointerPose. Now you can interact with UI

Quacklin
Protege
Can you give me a hint where to search for OvrInputModule ?
I tried adding it to the OVRCameraRig. But when I want to set it's rayTransform to 
OvrHand.PointerPose I get a error.

Theformand
Protege
When you create a Unity UI, it will create an event system for you in the scene. On The event system, remove the Standalone Input Module, and replace it with OVR Input module.

Quacklin
Protege
Okay I have added the OVR Input Module to the Event system and deactivated the Standalone Input Module. Then I added the OVR Raycaster to my world space canvas and deactivated the Graphic Raycaster.
When you wrote to assign the OvrHand.PointerPose to the OvrInputModule rayTransform I thought it's the gameobject HandRight or HandLeft which gets spawned by the Hands prefab. The Hand prefab does have a hand.cs script but they don't provide a PointerPose transform variable. 
So i need somewhere the OVRHand.cs script with left or right hand selected but I have no Idea where to put it.  :#

Theformand
Protege
I´m using the OTHER set of hand prefabs (Its a totally messy release by Oculus) that have OVRHand.cs attached to them. Im NOT using the Hands prefab to spawn them.

Quacklin
Protege
Got it. 
But I think I have to learn some fundamentals about ui Ray casting first. I though I could use the Ray tools like in the train demo scene. 

Honored Guest
Can you be more specific? I want to see the whole process

Quacklin
Protege
I started using the windows Mixed Reality Toolkit since there is a integration for the quest.
There is already native unity UI interaction included plus a lot of useful features like grabbing, scale and rotate
github.com/provencher/MRTKExtensionForOculusQuest

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys, I'm a little new with Unity, but not with programming so I'm doing very well. Anyway, I would really appreciate if you could explain this a bit more specifically 😞 Pleaaaaase. This thread it's exactly what I was looking for, but I don't seem to make it work, or I don't understand how. Thanks guys!