cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jittery head rotation tracking in Unity build

vonbetelgeuse
Level 2
Hi,

I'm having issues around jittery head rotation tracking in Unity, the mouse moves the image smoothly whilst the head tracking is so jittery it brings about motion sickness :X Guessing this is not a frame rate issue and I have to change the speed of head rotation acceleration (or something like that) somewhere, not sure where?

Help a gal out?
7 REPLIES 7

Proton
Level 2
Does the pre-built Unity Tuscany demo work okay? How about if you build it?

Also make sure to run in direct mode and use the _DirectToRift.exe

Dr_Evanzan
Level 2
I've just setup my DK2 and am having the same problem with jittery head-tracking in my Unity projects.
Controller input is perfectly smooth but there is pretty bad jitter when you move your head at all.

My test project was working fine with the DK1 (and 0.2.5c) but not with DK2 and 0.4.
The jitter happens both when running in Unity and running a standalone executable (using _DirectToRift.exe).
Interestingly the jitter is also there when I build the Tuscany demo but the pre-built Tuscany demo (and the general Oculus Config demo scene) work perfectly.

I haven't tried much in the way of tweaking settings yet, wondered if anyone else had found the cause of this issue?

I'm running Unity 4.5.4 and Extended Desktop mode (since Direct mode doesn't seem to work at all on my machine).

Fredz
Level 3
"drevanzan" wrote:
I'm running Unity 4.5.4 and Extended Desktop mode (since Direct mode doesn't seem to work at all on my machine).

There are known problems with Unity 4.5.4, you should try with Unity 4.5.2f1 instead. You should also use the 0.4.2 SDK and install the corresponding firmware.

Dr_Evanzan
Level 2
"Fredz" wrote:
There are known problems with Unity 4.5.4, you should try with Unity 4.5.2f1 instead. You should also use the 0.4.2 SDK and install the corresponding firmware.

Great, thanks for this.
Good to know the problem is with Unity rather than myself.

Also, I'm using 0.4.2 with corresponding firmware, just missed the .2 off my post! :oops:

bdeschryver
Level 2
I hope this will help rather than confuse, but I had many problems with Unity 4.5.2 and tried all combination of settings without luck. I sticked to 4.5.2 as it is the recommended version by Oculus.

yesterday I move to Unity 4.5.5 and it works much better in terms of stability, less flickering, smooth images,... (the only problem is a vertical line showing a break is left and right side (vertical alignment)).

I think I'll try 4.5.4 in a hope to solve that issue, as I know that many Unity developers use 4.5.4 and do not have problems.

Do not hesitate to PM me to share your build settings and parameters, I would happy to share mine and my long list of tests... 😉

Dr_Evanzan
Level 2
So, I've been trying out some different Unity versions:
the new 4.5.5 and 4.6.0b20 have the same issues as 4.5.4 with jittery head-tracking,
returning to 4.5.2 still has issues when running in editor but built versions run fine (as per the pre-built Tuscany demo) and so resolves the problem.

Note that this is all running in Extended Desktop mode.

Having managed to get Direct mode working successfully, all built versions tested (4.5.2/4.5.5/4.6.0) work without jittery head-tracking but all also have some artifacts that are not present when running in Extended Desktop mode.

So best performance seems to be with 4.5.2 in Extended Desktop mode but you can get usable performance from later Unity versions using Direct mode.

bdeschryver
Level 2
Could you share your hardware config ? As for me, 4.5.2 does not give good results...
Are we sure the Oculus Unity Tuscany demo was built using 4.5.2 ?