cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVROverlay + laser beam pointer issue

cody_oxcutter
Honored Guest
Hi,
I'm developing a simple app for OculusGO with Unity3d (2018.2) where the user can choose a 360 video from a library and play it.
I used the CurvedUI plugin and TextMeshPro for the text to reproduce the library feeling of OculusGO but after a lot of work I wasn't able to achieve the desired result because the texts and images resulted al jittery.
I'm trying now with the OVROverlay and I can get a really nice result but I can't get the laser beam to work correctly.
In the semple project of the SDK the laser beam interacts only with a Canvas that is rendered without overlay.

What do I have to do in order to make the laser beam work with the OVROverlay? For the record, I'm using the UIHelpers prefab laser beam.

Cody
4 REPLIES 4

tlambeir
Honored Guest
Hi, were you able to solve this?

treehousenorris
Explorer
I'm not sure about OVROverlay, but this could be useful for sanity checks:
Set your canvas's Render Mode to World Space and Event Camera to CenterEyeAnchor.
Swap out the canvas's Graphic Raycaster script component for the OVR Raycaster script component.
Drag and drop your scene's UIHelpers > LaserPointer game object into the OVR Raycaster script's Pointer variable.
Set the scene's LaserPointer's LineRenderer component as active.
Note your UIHelpers > Event System's OVRInputModule script component's Joy Pad Click Button selection. "One" was my Touch controller's right hand A button and "Primary Index Trigger" was my left hand indexTrigger (despite right handed laser).
Play your game, aim the laser at your UI button (hovering vs not should slightly tint), and press your chosen analog controller button (should flash the UI button's color and call its onclick function(s)).

VJ76
Protege

I'm not sure about OVROverlay, but this could be useful for sanity checks:
Set your canvas's Render Mode to World Space and Event Camera to CenterEyeAnchor.
Swap out the canvas's Graphic Raycaster script component for the OVR Raycaster script component.
Drag and drop your scene's UIHelpers > LaserPointer game object into the OVR Raycaster script's Pointer variable.
Set the scene's LaserPointer's LineRenderer component as active.
Note your UIHelpers > Event System's OVRInputModule script component's Joy Pad Click Button selection. "One" was my Touch controller's right hand A button and "Primary Index Trigger" was my left hand indexTrigger (despite right handed laser).
Play your game, aim the laser at your UI button (hovering vs not should slightly tint), and press your chosen analog controller button (should flash the UI button's color and call its onclick function(s)).

@treehousenorris
How can i switch the uihelper laserpointer to the lefthand controller?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried checking but unfortunately, it still doesn't work. Do you know other possible ways of interacting with OVROverlay?