cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of Controller Tracking in UnityBuild is choppy - in Editor it's smooth

suppenhuhn
Explorer
Hi!

I have a litte Testproject using Unity 2019.2.6 + latest Oculus Integration Asset
where i can grab some models - nothing fancy. Running on a WIN64 Sytem, i7 5820K@ 3,3GHz and GeForce RTX 2070 with Oculus Rift S.

When playing it in the
Editor the controller movements ( i've attached a simple cube to each
left / right hand anchor ) are very smooth also when i got grabbed
objects.

But when i build & run the game - the movement of the controllers & grabbed objects is very choppy/laggy.

Is this common or do i have to change some settings to solve this? the controller latency feature is checked.

Same issue when building on of the "Hedgehog" Example Scenes where i got Boxes as "controllers".

Any idea what's causing this issue?

2 REPLIES 2

Stimmits
Explorer
A common list to check is:
  • Check your log file. Are your encountering any errors? A nullReferenceException is very common and can decrease framerate drastically when occuring every frame.
  • Is the target framerate achieved in build? Choppy movement can be the result of a low framerate. The game in editor and build is basically the same, but Quality settings like anti-aliasing can be triggered differently when in build.
I had some issues where performance was low when "Use Recommended MSAA Level" was checked on the OVRCameraRig, which caused a debug log every frame in build but not in editor.

suppenhuhn
Explorer
hi,
thanks for your response 🙂
Framerate should be ok ( didn't check this directly ) - because when moving the head around there is nothing choppy going on -> it's pretty smooth.
The only choppy thing is my controller-model when it's moving ( but in build only ). small movements are acceptable but when waving around it's becoming very uncomfortable.

P.S. Can't check anything right now - Oculus Software made it's autoupdate to 12.1 and since then nothing seems to work, Oculus stays black sometimes the three loading dots appear but nothing else :s