cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time - Fixed Timestep / Hz values for Oculus devices in Unity

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer
What is the math formula for converting Hz to Unity's Time - Fixed Timestep?
The problem I am solving for is to stop the jitters on my Physics Rigidbody pinball, the jitters go away when I sync the correct timestep value for the specific device Hz.
My plan is to query the headset type and then set Fixed Timestep to a value for that headset's Hz.

Go 60 Hz = 0.01666
Go 72 Hz
Quest 72 Hz 
Rift 90 Hz = 0.0111
Rift S 80 Hz

Thanks,
Steve Hinan - METAL MULTIBALL

8 REPLIES 8

mouse_bear
Retired Support
50Hz (Default) = 0.2
60Hz (Gear VR) = 0.0167
72Hz (Quest/Oculus Go) = 0.0138
80Hz (Rift S) = 0.0125
90Hz (Rift) = 0.0111

These values can be calculated by 1/x, with x = the max framerate of the device (1/90 (Rift)).

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer

50Hz (Default) = 0.2
60Hz (Gear VR) = 0.0167
72Hz (Quest/Oculus Go) = 0.0138
80Hz (Rift S) = 0.125
90Hz (Rift) = 0.0111

These values can be calculated by 1/x, with x = the max framerate of the device (1/90 (Rift)).

Thank you NinjaGaijin
Rift_S = 0.0125 (for those who copy and paste)

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer

My plan is to query the headset type and then set Fixed Timestep to a value for that headset's Hz.

@NinjaGaijin Is this the technique others are using to remove physics jitters?  Or is there a better way without changing the Fixed Timestep?  Like a physics setting in Unity?

mouse_bear
Retired Support

@NinjaGaijin Is this the technique others are using to remove physics jitters?  Or is there a better way without changing the Fixed Timestep?  Like a physics setting in Unity?

Yes, these are one of the methods suggested to improve/mitigate physics jitters.

ROBYER1
Protege
Having issues in Unity 2019.3.0a12 and jittering, it's all connected to the Timestamp values but I am using the same values shown here. There is a larger thread on the Unity forums about it here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/jittery-motion-on-oculus-quest.683704/

jadamsart
Honored Guest
where do I go to change the timestamp values? Can anyone help? Do I need to go into player settings? Or do I need to make a C# code? I am not a great C# guy so any assistance in creating the code would be awesome!

Weitin
Protege

jadamsart said:

where do I go to change the timestamp values? Can anyone help? Do I need to go into player settings? Or do I need to make a C# code? I am not a great C# guy so any assistance in creating the code would be awesome!

Player Settings > Time > Fixed Timestep
Also accessible through the Time class

Gendron48
Honored Guest
To develop for you Oculus you’ll not only need an Oculus account but you may want to setup an Oculus Organiztion (free). Additionally (for my purposes), you’ll need a Unity account. I’m using a personal account.