cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity 3.5.7 Integration here!

petergiokaris
Protege
Hey guys,

It's Pete over at Oculus. A lot of people have been asking about Unity 3.5 support (our official Unity integration is for Unity 4), so I took some time over the weekend to put together an unofficial Unity 3.5 integration package using Unity 3.5.7. Note that this is an unofficial integration sample, but it should let all the Unity 3.5 users get started with the Rift!

There is very little difference in what is offered in the full core Unity 4.x integration. The main change is that we had to remove the Tuscany level because of changes that would have needed to be made to prefabs, materials, scenes (they would have needed to be re-created in Unity 3 because they cannot be brought in from 4).

The primary changes for Unity 3.5.7 vs. Unity 4:

- Removed all references to MSAA rendering (not available in Unity 3.X) in OVRCamera.cs
- Recreated prefabs for OVRPlayerController and OVRCameraController
- Removed Tuscany scene and level, added a quick test level in Unity3.5.7_TestScene unity package
- Removed collision with geometry in OVRCrosshair.cs (Camera.main not resolving properly; collision functionality not required)

To see Tuscany, and to see how the integration works in a more complex scene, we suggest that you download the trial version of Unity 4 Pro and check it out. Then, use the 3.5.7 package we provide and import it into your 3.5.7 project.

Thank you for your support, and we hope that you enjoy using Unity and the Rift to build amazing VR experiences!

Peter
27 REPLIES 27

drash
Heroic Explorer
Thanks a bunch for this Peter!

ftarnogol
Expert Protege
I wonder why there aren't like a thousand people raving about this after all the outcry that there was when it was announced that there wouldn't be native support for the free version.

On behalf of all of those people... THANK YOU!

bocaj
Honored Guest
Awesome! Thanks Peter!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Nice work, Peter!

MrGeddings
Explorer
does this work for the Free version of Unity 3.5.7 or is pro required? thanks for the info!

petergiokaris
Protege
This is for the pro version of 3.5.7 only, sorry 🙂

AgentElrond
Honored Guest
Has there been confirmation on the license details for the trial? If I am understanding the license correctly, users are not allowed to share free games they make using a student license or a 4-month trial license, which means during that 4 months, you can only test your game yourself?

If there has been official clarification on this, I would love to hear it. My understanding is that you may be able to distribute the source code to a game you create with the trial pro version, but you can't legally share the game for people to playtest until you own the full pro version.

peterept
Protege
Not sure about the restrictions, but I know builds with the Trial version force you to have the Unity logo on start and throughout the experience they have "Trial Version" on the bottom right corner. So not very pretty for distrubion.

AgentElrond
Honored Guest
"peterept" wrote:
Not sure about the restrictions, but I know builds with the Trial version force you to have the Unity logo on start and throughout the experience they have "Trial Version" on the bottom right corner. So not very pretty for distrubion.

Right, my concern is more about the EULA (http://unity3d.com/company/legal/eula😞

Conditioned upon your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement and payment of all applicable fees, Unity grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license: (i) to install and execute the executable form of the Software, solely for internal use by a single person to develop Licensee Content; and (ii) if you have licensed a version of the Software other than a trial or educational version, to distribute the runtime portion of the Software [etc.]

Also:
If you are using a free, trial or educational version of the Software, you may install the Software on a single computer only. In addition, if you are using an educational version of the Software, your license to use the Software and distribute the runtime portion of the Software in your Licensee Content is limited to educational, non-commercial purposes. If you are using a trial version of the Software, you may not publish or distribute any Licensee Content.

So it still sounds like people might be able to distribute a Unity project or source code, but they couldn't make actual standalone Oculus games/applications for people to download. Any official clarification of this would be welcome. 🙂