cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity 4.5.2 or 4.5.3 ?

bdeschryver
Level 2
Hello Unity-Rift developpers,

I read in this post (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13663&p=185269&hilit=unity+4.5.3#p185269) that Vrdaveb recommended not to use the latest unity and stick with 4.5.2. But that is from April 4th...

What is the current status ? Is SDK 0.4.2 and Unity 4.5.3 a safe combination ?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

drash
Level 7
I would also like to know this as well.

In fact, with each SDK update, it should be made clear which Unity version the SDK is built and tested against, for confidence's sake.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

vajra3d
Level 2
Yes, I would also like to know this. 🙂

kersk
Level 5
We recommend you stay on Unity 4.5.2 for right now.

We're working with Unity to try to resolve an issue with 4.5.3 which can cause judder when the rift is not set to the primary monitor.

Also, that's a fair point, drash. Perhaps something along the lines of "Required: Unity 4.5 or later, Recommended: Unity 4.5.2". I'll pass that feedback on.

MichaelSchenck
Level 2
This would be great to know. Especially if there are issues with particular Unity releases either older or newer than the recommended.

I am currently wrapping up the DK2 release for Lost Loot and also want to know if I should be building with DX11 on in the player settings. Direct Mode doesn't work at all on my system and DX11 builds do odd things like crash or run at 60hz. I do development in extended mode with DX11 off.

It seems like there is a lot of inconsistency out there with Unity builds and people are having to force dx11 or dx9 depending on what works for them and how it was built.

Just one example (search for dx11 in this):

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2fgs9v/what_exactly_does_direct_to_rift_mode_do/

And there is this specific comment:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2fgs9v/what_exactly_does_direct_to_rift_mode_do/ck9a0bc

It would seem like we should be defaulting one way or the other and all Unity devs doing it consistently.

Drash, it seems Titans works well for many people, any tips on the version of Unity and the DX11 setting? Anything else Unity devs should be doing to make builds consistent for folks?

drash
Level 7
"kersk" wrote:
Also, that's a fair point, drash. Perhaps something along the lines of "Required: Unity 4.5 or later, Recommended: Unity 4.5.2". I'll pass that feedback on.

That sounds great! Thanks for listening.

"MichaelSchenck" wrote:
Drash, it seems Titans works well for many people, any tips on the version of Unity and the DX11 setting? Anything else Unity devs should be doing to make builds consistent for folks?

Absolutely, I made a post on exactly this right here, but keep in mind that is specifically meant for SDK 0.4.1 and goes against kersk's above advice to stick to Unity 4.5.2. Not sure what to tell you -- things simply seemed to work better for me in 4.5.3f3 (make sure it's f3, not the patches like p2, p3, etc), for Direct mode stability and for performance.

I'm also hoping that the kinks get worked out and look forward to the day when no one has to worry about whether it will work for others, and we can all stay focused on making content.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

knup
Level 2
I'm working with Unity 4.6 Beta and Oculus SDK 0.4.2. For the first time I've gotten "Direct Mode" to work (out of editor, DX11) and had a smooth VR experience (which was amazing considering the judder in previous releases).

Gerald
Level 4
"knup" wrote:
I'm working with Unity 4.6 Beta and Oculus SDK 0.4.2. For the first time I've gotten "Direct Mode" to work (out of editor, DX11) and had a smooth VR experience (which was amazing considering the judder in previous releases).

wow - I normally stay away from betas, but that would be a treat. please share your further experience if you encounter problems (or not)
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

CubicleNinjas
Level 4
Really appreciate the dialogue here! Having a recommendation in the notes or changelog would remove a bit of the fear when a new SDK drops.

"drash" wrote:
Absolutely, I made a post on exactly this right here, but keep in mind that is specifically meant for SDK 0.4.1 and goes against kersk's above advice to stick to Unity 4.5.2. Not sure what to tell you -- things simply seemed to work better for me in 4.5.3f3 (make sure it's f3, not the patches like p2, p3, etc), for Direct mode stability and for performance.

Also seeing the best performance I've seen on 4.5.3f3.

vajra3d
Level 2
Also running 0.4.2 on 4.5.3f3 and so far I haven't encountered any issues... will post here if anything comes up though.