cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity 5.2.2 / OVRPlugin.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc

MarkM
Honored Guest
Greetings all,

I just upgraded my Windows 10 system from .7 run time to .8 and updated Unity to 5.2.2p2 (Oct 30th release) where everything worked fine in my project with the .7 run time and a 5.1.2 of Unity. I am also using the Oculus Unity Tools to get OVRPlayerController.

Now when I run the project on this machine I get
OVRPlugin.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module OVRPlugin.dll at 0033:391b1aa0.

Now I do NOT have a DK2 attached to this machine since I do a lot of development on this laptop and then move the project to a desktop that has the DK2. This used to work just fine before.

Is the fact that the DK2 is not attached the reason for the new crash?

Would really appreciate a quick answer as to what is going on. I am stuck and of course I am working on a fairly critical project. I am not sure if downgrading back 5.1.2 of Unity will resolve the issue or going back to .7 of the runtime. I would love to know if anyone has/had this problem and what steps they took to resolve it.

Appreciate any help!

-mark=
9 REPLIES 9

MarkM
Honored Guest
I just noticed this in the about box for the Oculus runtime:

Display Driver Version: C:\WINDOWS\system32\OVRDisplay64.dll not found
Positional Tracker Driver Version: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\OCUSBVID.sys not found

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz

Connected to OVRService server.

btw - the Nvidia video driver I am running is 358.78

-mark=

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well laptops are not really working well with the Oculus runtime, and the GT 650M is below the requirements anyway.

The display driver will not be installed on Windows 10, that is normal.

You can try installing the positional tracker manually by doing this:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27094&p=302143&p302205#p302205

MarkM
Honored Guest
Thanks.. I'll give this a try!

Here is the thing--you can do a lot of development; especially in teams; where there are modules that do not depend on even having the headset around yet the project itself is VR enabled and can run. This worked prior to the .8 runtime just fine. I have no expectation to get good performance on a laptop, I do have expectation that development can be done without having to have spec'd PCs for every developer.

An example -- I have a unity project that does do VR but I have a development team who writes code to interact with our servers where the data lie. They should be able to have that code integrated and be able to run the project in the editor in some way without requiring them to have a Geforce 970 or better.

Hope that makes sense.

It used to work just dandy with .7.

-mark=

MarkM
Honored Guest
Well I found the installer and tried to run it.. it starts and asks me if it is okay to install--I say yes and then the installer exits without installing the file.

Is this a case where if I could get the file out of the MSI bundle I could just manually place it in the right directory or does the installer need to do some registry work?

I am dead in the water.. would appreciate any help here.

I don't think it is an option to go tell my management that I need to buy a new computer to continue my part of the project. Pretty frustrated here. All I wanted to do is get to the latest runtime to match the latest version of Unity which has bug fixes we would like to have. I had no idea I was going to be on a multiple hour voyage. 😞

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you look inside the Tools->Service->Configure options in the Config Util and set the Debug HMD type to DK2?

MarkM
Honored Guest
OMG.. changing that setting caused the project to run!

How is that the case if the driver is missing?

When it runs I get a ton of these:
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
OVRPlayerController.OnEnable () (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/Util/OVRPlayerController.cs:128)

I can live with that though.

Thanks Cyber!

MarkM
Honored Guest
Odd, when running the project a 2nd time I do not get those errors. 🙂

Again thank you good sir..

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome! Glad to be of help.

Cadpeople
Honored Guest
Holy shit I can't believe this worked! I know I'm late, but this saved my day (Unity 5.3.4f1 & Newest Oculus plugin) 😄