cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity project with OVR Unity Utilites 1.16 asks to be placed into Gear VR even when VR is disabled

medicalrealitie
Honored Guest
Using Unity 5.6.2 or 5.6.3 with the OVR Utilities 1.16 in the project. Even when Virtual Reality Supported is disabled in the Build Settings when I build an app to a Samsung S7 or S8 the screen asking to be placed in a GearVR is displayed. It seems like the Build Settings are overwritten automatically by this plugin, if I remove the package then I can build a non VR app again. It also seems to overwrite the Android Manifest to include a permission for Read_Phone_State meaning it asks the user for permission to make and manage calls when it is first installed, which is worrying for many users. Again this permission is no longer added when I remove the Utilities.

Is the above behaviour what is expected by using the utilities? I am developing for GearVR and Cardboard in the same project which is why I may not want to automatically change the VR SDK to Oculus. 
4 REPLIES 4

medicalrealitie
Honored Guest

Hi,

Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums.

There is a known issue affecting the 1.16 beta release of Oculus Utilities and this specifically effects mobile/ Gear VR implementations. Please downgrade to 1.15 here and try again. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks, downgrading allows me to turn off VR mode. Any idea what in particular in the OVR Utilities or the Oculus Platform plugins require Read_Phone_State permission as it is still getting added to my manifest unless I remove these plugins from the project. 

robocat
Honored Guest
Hi,
has this been resolved? I am getting the READ_PHONE_STATE permission added with Unity 2017.3.0f3, Oculus Utilities 1.19.0, and Android SDK 27. Unfortunately, I can't really tell at what point during upgrading all these componentes the issue started appearing. Any hints what I could check?

delphinius81
Rising Star
Do you call SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier anywhere in your code to get some kind of unique ID? Unity will add READ_PHONE_STATE automatically, as accessing the phone's UUID requires that permission.

robocat
Honored Guest
@delphinius81 No, I've searched all imported scripts, too, but SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier isn't called anywhere.