cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply anti-aliasing?

drash
Heroic Explorer
I don't have a Rift yet (standard disclaimer), but I am wondering about the different options we have with full-screen anti-aliasing, and whether it is worth having AA in the first place with the Rift.

I've thought about the following three approaches:

1. FSAA -> Lens correction & Chromatic Aberration Correction
2. Lens correction & Chromatic Aberrarion Correction -> FSAA
3. Lens correction -> FSAA -> Chromatic Aberration Correction

Note that in this case I am talking about disabling the anti-aliasing in the Quality Settings, and simply adding "Antialiasing As Post Effect" to the OVRCameras. Also I ignore the fact that there are several different types of AA to choose from in this image effect -- not sure if they have any bearing on the question of the orderings above.

So for #1, the idea is to pretty up the scene before warping it. I imagine that the warping is sort of undoing some of the benefit of AA by doing it afterwards?

For #2, the idea is to warp the scene, and then pretty it up with AA. The big problem I am running into here is that performing AA on a scene that has already been corrected for chromatic aberration just makes things really ugly (as far as I can tell without a Rift).

To me, #3 would be ideal to address the above issues, but in the Unity integration, lens correction and chromatic aberration correction are part of the same shader so aren't easily separated.

So, before I tear up the nice warp shader and split it up into two parts, I'm looking for thoughts from other developers (that have a Rift) about whether or not FSAA is worth the trouble (and hit to performance) in the first place? 🙂
2 REPLIES 2

cybereality
Grand Champion
The way the current package is setup, any image-based post effects you add to the camera will actually be rendered last (after the distortion and chromatic aberration). There isn't a lot of control here at the moment. Ultimately we would like to make this more flexible, but I'm not sure when that will happen.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
The way the current package is setup, any image-based post effects you add to the camera will actually be rendered last (after the distortion and chromatic aberration). There isn't a lot of control here at the moment. Ultimately we would like to make this more flexible, but I'm not sure when that will happen.

I thought I was going crazy, I saw those post effects moving around on their own and wasnt sure what was going on. Thanks for the info! 🙂