cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oculus window interferes with my game execution

paulovich
Explorer
I'm getting crazy.

In unity 4.6.9 the latest 1.3 integration works superb, I can switch from desktop to vr flawlesly in runtime.
Only when I run it propmpts me that the dk2 blablbla. But for the rest it runs smooth.

When I make the build the oculus window interferes and crasehs the game when in vr mode, that modern house with fireplace appears, if I insist in launching from 5 attemps 1 might run so I can hover avobe the "yes my dk2 is trashware" message and game runs. But is that freaking window that takes control when the oculus gets into action. If I start the game in desktop mode and swithc to VR, something that runs perfectly in unity in desktop crasehs because the fireplace scene gets in.  Is there a way to dissable that intromission in the game?  I'm preparing the game for steam and don´t know if they'll handle that oculus thing with the steamwork sdk or I've to setup something or what.

Please give me some tips.

>>

23 REPLIES 23

paulovich
Explorer

vrdaveb said:

This looks like our bug. Does it still occur with 5.3.5p5?

I can not port this project to 5.x platform easily or at least not in a short time.
I'm on 4.7.2.
Now that I've the potential cause isolated I'have to focus on other much minor things but that also need to be shorted and leave the vr thing to be the last one I've the game like totally finished 99.9+ and I've to short some anoying minor things and upload to steam for aproval tonight.
I'll keep you informed.

paulovich
Explorer
Ok further testing shows that defintly there is an issue when spawning other canvases than the main canvas or elements from other canvases.
This all works like a charm within editor but in the build it crasehs or simply does not render.

The options menu is a more complex menu may be that is the reason it crashes. The only difference among other is that it has some 2D colliders that where used by the vr  cursor that I stripped during the bughunt.

When the game is over, a "game over" image from other canvas is shown. Works in editor does not in the build.

The stats canvases do spawn in the editor but in the build do not.

Sometimes it crashes when entering the battle ( not in the main menus). I guess this could be related to the fact that the ui is an instantiated prefab.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Sartar with the canvas off. vr goes fine. Enable canvas. Crash.
Interesting. This means it probably isn't the issue I thought. Can you send me a build so I can debug it here?

paulovich
Explorer
Ok I'm sending you a key as I finisht this post. The key I send you has the options menu enabling capability dissabled to avoid crashing, this is because I send that build for evaluation by steam to give clearance to the game.

At least you can see how only the gameplay canvas is rendered and all other canvases are not working.

I seems like when oculus is enabled only one canvas can be managed. Its weird because even the calls to dissable gameplay canvas are not working in the build, at the end of the game, when the level camera is enabled (the black and white one) you should see the stats, instead the gameplay ui keeps showing, this only happens in vr mode.

The ui is an instantiated prefab. in the following images you can see the structure.

Ui_gameplay and everithing within is the only canvas that works fine.

bckn8xiabxpv.jpg

64y18v1ur10j.jpg

For testing launch the battle for 1enemy and enemies to kill 1, this is setup in the map select menu, top right otherwise game will take long to end.

Check the non vr version then and see at the end of the game all the canvases that are not rendered. Such as teh stats, the "game over" message etc..

Remember that all this canvasese yes do appear within unity editor.

It has happened to me that this steam build crashes when entering the battle first time, next launch it goes ok, hope it crasehs to you too and you can get additional info.

I'll prepare a crashing build that has the menu options enabled and upload to mega with necesary modifications not to require steam client. The only difference with the options menu is that is quite complex canvas with lots of toggles  and that has some 2d colliders. Again, it works on unity editor.

vrdaveb said:

Sartar with the canvas off. vr goes fine. Enable canvas. Crash.
Interesting. This means it probably isn't the issue I thought. Can you send me a build so I can debug it here?