cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody had any luck with Unity InputField Component in World Space Canvas?

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
Hi all,

I've been using the Weelco VR Keyboard asset to do text input for operations like signing up and logging in to my company's app. After getting persistent and logical feature requests for a caret, mid-string editing, and character limits etc, I discovered InputField Component in Unity's stock UI tool set. Specifically I'm using the TextMeshPro variant, but in general I'm just wondering if anyone has been successfully working with a similar tech stack. I'm up against mashing together the TextMeshPro Input Field, with the Weelco VR Keyboard(s) and Auth system, and a custom reticle/laser pointer/event execution system. So I've got lots of little quirks to squash in my retrofit, like:
  • the text selection behavior disabling when my reticle leaves the canvas
  • I cannot see the caret
  • I can't click into the string and edit it arbitrarily from the center
Anyone else built a login for your Gear/Go app that connects to some sort of account backend? What'd you use?
7 REPLIES 7

lostsomfan
Protege
Got same problem, did you solve it? Works fine in Rift with controllers but doesnt work with Go controller, it kinda double clicks away "Focused" on inputfields

TobiWoVR
Honored Guest
Hey, we are facing the exact same Problem on Oculus Quest and Go... We really need it for Login functionality. It's a hassle to delete whole email adresse and enter it again when theres a typo/mistake in the middle.
Caret and mid-string editing working with mouse in editor but not possible in VR 😕 
Did anybody find a solution to this?

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
AFAIK Oculus has basically punted on this issue and deferred to Unity, which makes no sense because this exposes an unstable hole in their API that allows for lower-level Android stuff that you'd otherwise never ever see come up on an Oculus Go to become visible in the viewport and break basic operating system functionality. So we're stuck using crappy Unity Assets I'm afraid.

german.shnaider
Honored Guest

Hello Friends!
Please tell me did you find a solution?
We are doing the same thing now in the project! We are trying to find a solution to this issue. But so far to no avail... Maybe you can help us?

Hello!
Please tell me, did you find a solution?
We are doing the same thing now in the project! We are trying to find a solution to this issue. But so far to no avail... Please you can help us?

Hello my friend!
Did you find a solution?
We are doing the same thing now in the our project! We are trying to find a solution to this issue. But so far to no avail... Please you can help us?