cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Development on MacOS High Sierra

delphinius81
Level 8
I recently updated to MacOS High Sierra, and now I'm getting lots of errors trying to run a gearvr app in Unity. I'm using the latest Utilities / OVRPlatform plugins.
Couldn't open Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin,
error: dlopen(Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin,
2): Symbol not found: __dyld_get_all_image_infos
Referenced from: /Users/#####/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /Users/#####/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0

Couldn't open /Users/#####/Development/Projects/#####/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin,
error: dlopen(/Users/#####/Development/Projects/#####/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, 2):
Symbol not found: __dyld_get_all_image_infos
Referenced from: /Users/#####/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0
in /Users/#####/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0

More info posted in this thread from someone else. https://forum.unity.com/threads/couldnt-open-macos-ovrplugin-in-a-blank-project.498378/
18 REPLIES 18

alobaloss
Level 2

delphinius81
Level 8
Thanks. Let me know if you need any additional information from me.

sethwklein
Level 3
I'm having this problem as well. Same High Sierra, same error message. As the error message implies, I've installed (and reinstalled) `oculus_runtime_sdk_0.5.0.1_osx.dmg`.
Couldn't open /Users/sk/driftspace-big/editor/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.19.0/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, error: dlopen(/Users/sk/driftspace-big/editor/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.19.0/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, 2): Symbol not found: __dyld_get_all_image_infos
Referenced from: /Users/sk/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0
in /Users/sk/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0

Soundmartell
Level 3
Hello, 
I am having the same problem.
Any news about it?
Regards.

delphinius81
Level 8
So basically you are saying that supporting GearVR builds on a mac is not a priority?

mbzdmvp
Level 3
This is absurd. Apple changes one function to private in High Sierra and instead of fixing it your response is "There is no support for newer Mac OS releases currently." Ignoring every Gear VR developer using OS X.

Great job Oculus.

delphinius81
Level 8
You guys understand that we aren't asking to be able to run a VR application with a DK1/2 on a mac, like we could way back when. Or even to have support like Vive/SteamVR with the latest Macs.

We just want to be able to hit Play in the Unity editor without the editor blowing up when a call to an OVR run-time function is made. You guys can literally just have every library function return null or some default data if the run-time can't be found - we just need your code to handle thrown exceptions when OVRManager can't access the run-time library so that it doesn't kill the entire function stack.

mbzdmvp
Level 3

You guys understand that we aren't asking to be able to run a VR application with a DK1/2 on a mac, like we could way back when. Or even to have support like Vive/SteamVR with the latest Macs.

We just want to be able to hit Play in the Unity editor without the editor blowing up when a call to an OVR run-time function is made. You guys can literally just have every library function return null or some default data if the run-time can't be found - we just need your code to handle thrown exceptions when OVRManager can't access the run-time library so that it doesn't kill the entire function stack.

Exactly this. It's ridiculous that we should have to add preprocessor directives just to prevent tons of errors at runtime.

ichitaka
Level 2
Yeah any updates on this? If there is no change of thought, i would need to switch to the daydream platform. I'm not satisfied with this situation  :'(