cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Rate

Krisper
Level 2
I bought myself a new laptop so I can start getting some decent frame rates with all of the demos, games etc. I started setting up a Unity project by copying the older Island Demo over and putting an OVRCharacterController onto it. I noticed I was getting fps as low as 25, and only up to about 50. I thought this was odd as the card is a GTX770M which should be pretty good. So I tried it with a normal character controller, and I was getting fps of 180 to 200.

I have double checked my display settings, pretty sure the Nvidia card is running all of the 3d stuff and not the onboard Intel one. Any ideas of what could be going on?
7 REPLIES 7

Proton
Level 2
Make sure VSync is turned off.

Edit> Quality Settings > VSync Count = Don't Sync

Krisper
Level 2
"Proton" wrote:
Make sure VSync is turned off.

Edit> Quality Settings > VSync Count = Don't Sync


It was set to Every VBlank as that is what is shows in the OculusUnityIntegrationGuide.pdf Figure 4: Quality settings for Oculus demo.

I'll try the Don't Sync settings tonight, thanks.

sh0v0r
Level 4
"Krisper" wrote:
I bought myself a new laptop so I can start getting some decent frame rates with all of the demos, games etc. I started setting up a Unity project by copying the older Island Demo over and putting an OVRCharacterController onto it. I noticed I was getting fps as low as 25, and only up to about 50. I thought this was odd as the card is a GTX770M which should be pretty good. So I tried it with a normal character controller, and I was getting fps of 180 to 200.

I have double checked my display settings, pretty sure the Nvidia card is running all of the 3d stuff and not the onboard Intel one. Any ideas of what could be going on?


I'm not sure what you are saying:

"putting an OVRCharacterController onto it."

and

"I tried it with a normal character controller" - Do you still have an OVRCameraController in the scene?

There is a significant difference between these things, something that would definitely be happening is that if you have an OVRCameraController in your scene which the OVRCharacterController does have, there is some code that forces High Quality settings and it's likely this that is impacting your rendering performance.


// SetMaximumVisualQuality - This is called in OVRCameraController:Start
public void SetMaximumVisualQuality()
{
QualitySettings.softVegetation = true;
QualitySettings.maxQueuedFrames = 0;
QualitySettings.anisotropicFiltering = AnisotropicFiltering.ForceEnable;
QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 1;
}

Krisper
Level 2
"sh0v0r" wrote:

I'm not sure what you are saying:

"putting an OVRCharacterController onto it."

and

"I tried it with a normal character controller" - Do you still have an OVRCameraController in the scene?



Well I am dragging the OVR Character Controller prefab into the scene and testing it with the Rift, select the menu and the FPS is pretty low.

Then I removed the OVR Character Controller, dragged a Standard FPS Controller into the scene and run it and I get a pretty high frame rate.

Is it normal for the OVR Camera stuff to lower the frame rate that much? It is a pretty decent laptop.

P.S. Loving Luna Flight 😄

sh0v0r
Level 4
"Krisper" wrote:
"sh0v0r" wrote:

I'm not sure what you are saying:

"putting an OVRCharacterController onto it."

and

"I tried it with a normal character controller" - Do you still have an OVRCameraController in the scene?



Well I am dragging the OVR Character Controller prefab into the scene and testing it with the Rift, select the menu and the FPS is pretty low.

Then I removed the OVR Character Controller, dragged a Standard FPS Controller into the scene and run it and I get a pretty high frame rate.

Is it normal for the OVR Camera stuff to lower the frame rate that much? It is a pretty decent laptop.

P.S. Loving Luna Flight 😄


I wouldn't expect to see that significant a drop, have you got Unity Pro, have a look in the Profiler and see what is consuming all the frame time.

Krisper
Level 2
"sh0v0r" wrote:

I wouldn't expect to see that significant a drop, have you got Unity Pro, have a look in the Profiler and see what is consuming all the frame time.


I am using my Unity Pro trial, I haven't used the Profiler before, I will look into that. Thanks for the tips.

brendenfrank
Level 2
Considering you are rendering your game twice, you are going to have a performance drop regardless of any tweaked settings. Reducing your drawcalls and fillrate will help a lot.