cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display something different on monitor and headset?

Stankiem
Honored Guest
(unity) If I want to show a different rendered image on the monitor from what is being displayed in the headset, how would I go about this?

I possibly want to have another camera in the world displaying something totally different for people watching on the monitor.
12 REPLIES 12

Stankiem
Honored Guest
Anyone have an answer on this? Is it even possible?

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Unity 5.3 supports this. Just make a Camera and set "Stereo Eye" to "None (Main Display)".

Stankiem
Honored Guest
thank you, much appreciated.

NukedCranium
Explorer
I have managed to achieve this, but also had to turn off mirroring via code to get my secondary camera to display on the screen. Changing depth had no effect, as the HMD camera would always appear on top.

I am now however having an issue where the rendered scene of my secondary camera (being displayed on screen) is stretched horizontally, nothing I do seems to alter this.

Has anyone else experienced this, or knows how to resolve please?

You can reproduce this, by creating a simple scene, introducing a second camera, configuring as per the instructions in this post and turning on VR support in the player settings.

ChaosEmperor
Honored Guest
"peteclark82" wrote:
I have managed to achieve this, but also had to turn off mirroring via code to get my secondary camera to display on the screen. Changing depth had no effect, as the HMD camera would always appear on top.

I am now however having an issue where the rendered scene of my secondary camera (being displayed on screen) is stretched horizontally, nothing I do seems to alter this.

You can reproduce this, by creating a simple scene, introducing a second camera, configuring as per the instructions in this post and turning on VR support in the player settings.

I had this issue and actually posted about it here, it turned about to be a bug from Unity and it not preserving the correct aspect ratio. Updating to the latest version (Unity 5.3.2p1) fixes it. 😄

NukedCranium
Explorer
"ChaosEmperor" wrote:
"peteclark82" wrote:

I had this issue and actually posted about it here, it turned about to be a bug from Unity and it not preserving the correct aspect ratio. Updating to the latest version (Unity 5.3.2p1) fixes it. 😄

Great news, thanks for this, I will update tonight and this will hopefully be fixed!

NukedCranium
Explorer
"ChaosEmperor" wrote:
"peteclark82" wrote:

I've just checked, and I have the latest version 5.3.2p1 (5.3.2f1 as the shortcut says), but I still get a stretched view like the following onscreen. Did you have to do anything else to get this working?

http://imgur.com/cZPmM1G

ChaosEmperor
Honored Guest
"peteclark82" wrote:
"ChaosEmperor" wrote:
"peteclark82" wrote:

I've just checked, and I have the latest version 5.3.2p1 (5.3.2f1 as the shortcut says), but I still get a stretched view like the following onscreen. Did you have to do anything else to get this working?

http://imgur.com/cZPmM1G

Are you sure? I believe 5.3.2p1 is different than 5.3.2f1 (My shortcut says p1 and not f1). I have it working perfectly from my side. Are you using the following code to stop the mirroring?

IEnumerator Start ()
{
yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame ();
UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.showDeviceView = false;
}

Note: in case you are not aware, p1 refers to patch no.1 for that Unity version. I got it from here:

http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

NukedCranium
Explorer
Yeah I'm using that setting, (minus the yield return portion though, is this best practice? I'm still very new 🙂 )

Pretty sure I'm on the latest patch, I've raised a thread over at the unity forums and they've suggested I need to also reset the FOV, I've not tried this yet, but I'm hopeful! Strange how you've not needed to do this though.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/multip ... ed.383306/