cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make UI in front of OVRAvatar hands/controllers

Livealot
Protege
I'm using OVRAvatar to generate my hands/controllers which include a nice self-occluding shader that always shows your hands/controllers in front of everything else in the scene. This is great EXCEPT when I want to provide controller tooltips for what the various buttons do. I'm using a Worldspace canvas attached to each hand to display those tooltips. Is there a way to set up the canvas so that it renders in front of the OVRAvatar occluding shaders???
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Livealot
Protege
Thanks for the link, which included several possibilities. Since I don't like messing with shaders, here are the 2 options that worked best for me.

Option 1:to use the default OVRAvatar hands/controllers, I added a sorting layer to the relevant worldspace canvas and made sure it was at the bottom of the list (below default).

Option 2: use custom controllers instead so you have better control over whatever you want. I used the prefabs from SampleScenes/Hands/Controllers. This approach also helped me highlight specific buttons to go along with the controller tooltips in my tutorial

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Livealot
Protege
Thanks for the link, which included several possibilities. Since I don't like messing with shaders, here are the 2 options that worked best for me.

Option 1:to use the default OVRAvatar hands/controllers, I added a sorting layer to the relevant worldspace canvas and made sure it was at the bottom of the list (below default).

Option 2: use custom controllers instead so you have better control over whatever you want. I used the prefabs from SampleScenes/Hands/Controllers. This approach also helped me highlight specific buttons to go along with the controller tooltips in my tutorial